Unconventional Oscar Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The 86th annual Academy Awards are fast approaching, and new predictions for winners from film experts and Vegas odds-makers are coming out every day. But I’ve decided to take a different approach to guessing how the big night will turn out by focusing on the details that people buzz about for weeks afterward:

Best Dressed: I think this category will go to Lupita N’yongo, a Best Supporting Actress for 12 Years a Slave. She’s been rocking the red carpets all awards season, and considering this is her first appearance at the Oscars, I think she’ll go all out and sport something effortless, fresh, and flattering.

Worst Dressed: As much as I love Jennifer Lawrence as a person and dream bff, she’s been flopping on the red carpet lately. Lawrence (a Supporting Actress nominee for American Hustle) just penned a $15 million contract with Dior to be the new face of the brand, but they haven’t been dressing her in their best pieces. I still have nightmares from that tampon-esque dress she wore to the Golden Globes last month.

Biggest Show Stopper: Pink. That’s right, I said Pink, as in the singer who’s no longer known for having that eponymous hair color but for her crazy acrobatic performances. She tweeted this past weekend that she’s been invited to perform at the Oscars, adding the hashtag “#holycow.” I have a feeling that’s what people will think when the singer hits the stage this Sunday, because you never know what’s up her sleeve but it will definitely be water cooler fodder the next day.

Longest Acceptance Speech: Leonardo DiCaprio takes this one (if he wins), because surprisingly despite being at the top of his acting game for decades now he has yet to win an Oscar of his own. It’s been a long time coming, so if he wins this honor for Lead Actor in Wolf of Wall Street, I’m sure he’ll take a very long time to revel in the moment. Not that I’ll mind watching him for an extended time on my TV.

Most Likely to Show Up Drunk: The frontrunner for this category is definitely Matthew McConaughey, since half the time even when he’s sober he doesn’t make sense. He deserves his nod for Lead Actor in Dallas Buyers Club, and part of me hopes he wins to see what kind of messy speech he delivers. But for every frontrunner there’s a dark horse, and I’m sensing an upset here by none other than Meryl Streep. The legendary actress, who’s nominated for an 18th time this year for August, Osage County (and already has 3 Oscar wins under her belt) could arrive inebriated under the grounds that she just doesn’t give a crap anymore.  Do your thing, Meryl.

Catch the Academy Awards this Sunday, March 2nd, at 8 pm on ABC, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres.

Blog Co-Editor and Staff Writer for HC Emerson. writer. shower singer. poet. IMDb buff. nail artist. cat & dog lover. fangirl. tennis player. die-hard Steelers fan. chef. moviehopper. Netflix addict.
Emerson contributor