Unarguably The Top 10 Christmas Movies of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I need to preface this article with the fact that this is entirely in my own opinion.  Feel free to disagree with the ranking of holiday movies, but just know you are wrong.

10.) The Grinch

Who doesn’t love the Grinch?  I mean…seriously?  Is this one cut of anyone’s top 10 favorite Christmas movies?  If it is I think you need to reevaluate your decisions in life.  Just saying.

9.) Die Hard

Is it really a Christmas movie? No.  Am I counting it for this list because it take place at Christmas time?  Yes.  Die Hard is literally one of the best series I have ever seen and maybe it’s not really a Christmas movie, but who doesn’t love excessive explosions while they are getting in the holiday spirit? 

8.) Home Alone

Honestly, Christmas is put on the back burner in this one, but it doesn’t change the fact that this movie is amazing and classic and literally everything to me (well, 7 places behind the movie that is actually everything to me but I mean really who’s counting besides me).  I could watch Kevin play pranks on robbers all day long honestly, which is really why it is on this list.

7.) Four Christmases

This movie made my top 10 because every time I watch it I can’t stop laughing.  Plus, who doesn’t love Reese Witherspoon?  

6.) The Polar Express

While the CGI in this movie is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen, the story behind the movie is perfect for everyone this Christmas season.  Grab some hot cocoa and enjoy!

5.) A Christmas Carol

Yep, you caught me.  This writing major is in love with Charles Dickens’ story A Christmas Carol, so of course, it would be one of my favorite Christmas movies!   

4.) Frosty the Snowman!

Yet another holiday classic, and one that you have to watch (its, like, tradition…you can’t break that).  Sitting on the couch in your PJs is the perfect addition to this holiday flick.  

3.) White Christmas!

For those of you who know me, I’m a sucker for old movies, so it only makes sense that this 50’s classic makes it into my top three.  While it’s not something I grew up watching, its musical numbers and genuine holiday cheer won my heart.  If you’ve never seen White Christmas, definitely add it to your list as it perfectly encapsulates the meaning of Christmas.

2.) Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer!

A classic for sure, and my second favorite holiday movie.  How can you not love this cutie?  Perfect for people of any age, and if you haven’t watched it in a few years, it will definitly bring back all of that holiday nostalgia we know and love.  So grab some popcorn and enjoy this Christmas classic!

And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, my number one, top holiday movie is….

*Drum Roll*

1.) A Christmas Story!

Why is this my all time favorite Christmas movie?  Have you seen it?  Apparently not if you had to ask.  A Christmas story will always hold a very near and dear place to my heart as it should.  It’s a classic!  Not only did it give me childhood nicknames, but it makes me laugh every time I see it to this day.  If you haven’t seen it, make sure to pull up a chair and watch it this year on TBS!  They even play it 24 hours straight on Christmas day (starting on Christmas Eve)!

Disagree with me?  Feel free to tweet @HCEmerson to let me know why!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor