Trending Now: Geode Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

First geode lips, then geode nails and now geode hair. Find out how you can have hair that shines like a crystal.  

The trend currently sweeping the Internet among Instagram users and social media stars alike has a bit of a confusing name. You do not use geodes or rocks to dye your hair; however, the natural name alludes to the more natural properties that this trend utilizes. And honestly, having hair that shines bright like a crystal or the inside of a geode is not that difficult—at least not as difficult as actually finding a geode in the great outdoors.

The trend obviously comes from, and is inspired by one of the most beautiful things to come from nature: the geode. A geode, according to the dictionary, is “a small cavity in a rock lined with crystals or other mineral matter.” You can basically just think of it as the scientific term for a gorgeous, sparkly rock.

Once you have picked what colors you would like your hair to be—or in other words what geode inspires you—it’s all left up to the magic of the stylist (we do not recommend trying this at home). The stylist starts by lightening the hair a few shades depending on how dark your hair is. I said that this trend is more natural than a lot of others because in some instances it does not require bleaching at all (again depending on how dark your hair is to begin with). Once the hair has been lightened and then completely dries, the stylist begins to work from the bottom of the hair to the top, adding one color, and then the next, and then the next, depending on how many colors are being used. This is a non traditional way of coloring the hair because the process begins at the tips of the hair as opposed to the roots and the colors are all blended meticulously in the hair by hand. If done right, your hair should seamlessly fade from one color to the next, looking like the inside of the crystal.

Julia is junior attending Emerson College for her bachelor of arts degree in journalism. She is originally from a small town in New Hampshire. She enjoys writing about people and feels that everyone has a story to share with the world even if they don't know it yet. 
Emerson contributor