This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re looking for the best Netflix movies and TV shows to watch this semester, look no further! Try out this list!

1. Dirty Dancing

Full of song, dance and Patrick Swayze, Dirty Dancing is perfect for any occasion. A feel-good movie, it’ll have you dancing around your dorm and cheering for the stars. You can’t go wrong with Dirty Dancing!

2. American Beauty

American Beauty stars Kevin Spacey in a somewhat unsettling drama. Unhappy with his life, he starts to fixate on his teenage daughter’s young friend and soon after finds himself obsessed. Though it’s a bit strange, it’s a classic and a great movie. 

3. Uptown Girls

Everyone needs to see Uptown Girls! Starring Dakota Fanning as a young girl and Brittany Murphy, the two form an unlikely friendship that is so sweet it will make your heart melt. 4. Orange is the New Black

This gritty drama is something everyone should watch. The show follows Piper Chapman, a woman convicted of a crime she committed years ago, and watches as she adjusts to life in a women’s prison where the other inmates are a little less-than-welcoming. 

5. Bob’s Burgers

A hilarious show, Bob’s Burgers is a good cartoon if you’re looking for something light and airy to watch. This cartoon is centered on a family of five who own a burger joint and live their lives as if no one is watching. It’s absolutely hilarious. 

6. World War Z

If you like zombie movies, World War Z is perfect for you. Starring Brad Pitt, Gerry takes on a world overcome by infected humans, and of course, ends up saving the planet. 

7. Blackfish

Blackfish is a necessary documentary about the terrible treatment of sea creatures kept in captivity. Focusing on the killer whale, this will make you think differently next time you want to go to Sea World. 

8. What’s Eating Gilbert Grape

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is one of Leonardo DiCaprio’s first films, in which he plays Johnny Depp’s autistic younger brother. This drama with a touch of comedy will warm your heart as you fall in love with the wonderful sibling bond that’s created. 

So, what are you waiting for? Get to watching!

Emerson contributor