This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Leighton Meester – Heartstrings

Released: October 27th, 2014

If you don’t know who Leighton Meester is by name, you may know her as Blair Waldorf or Queen B, the richest of Manhattan’s socialites on the widely popular show, Gossip Girl. The sound of her debut album Heartstrings may surprise listeners that are used to seeing her as a preppy, rich girl on TV. Full of soul and emotion with a slow, smooth vibe, all nine tracks on Heartstrings will bring you into a place of love and happiness – especially tracks like “L.A.” and “Good for One Thing”. Her first single from the album, also titled “Heartstrings”, has the potential to become a massive hit, and has been gaining recognition since performances of it on VH1’s Big Morning Buzz.

Taylor Swift – 1989

Released: October 27th, 2014

We all knew Taylor’s new album was coming, but I don’t think anyone expected it to be better than anything she has ever done. Not only has Taylor dominated country charts with previous hits like “Mean” and “You Belong With Me,” but she has taken over the pop charts with past track “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” and with her newest, highly anticipated single “Shake it Off” – which debuted as number one on the Billboard Top 100 back in August. Super catchy tracks from 1989 like “Bad Blood” and “Out of the Woods” are bound to get stuck in everyone’s heads the same way “Shake it Off” has been doing for months. Taylor’s newest album just restates the fact that she knows exactly what she’s doing when it comes to making music, and the long wait for 1989 has been totally worth it.

Sam Hunt – Montevallo

Released: October 27th, 2014

Most girls will probably agree that one of the most popular songs of the summer was “Leave the Night On” by Sam Hunt, just because it’s one of those cute pop country songs that leaves you wishing you grew up in the South with a handsome country boy. Montevallo takes a new angle on pop country and one that should not be missed. Since being released, Montevallo has become a close second to Taylor Swift’s album 1989 on ITunes’s Top Album Chart and only time will tell if his new album will beat T-Swift out of the number one spot.

Maroon 5 – V

Released: September 2nd, 2014

Maroon 5 has had more hits than one can count, so it comes with no surprise that their newest album V has produced “Maps” and “Animals,” two of the biggest hits of the past few months. V, Maroon 5’s fifth studio album, has still managed to keep its listeners just as interested in their love inspired pop melodies like “It Was Always You” and “Feelings.” From the moment “She Will Be Loved” hit the ears of millions of teenage girls, we started to love Maroon 5, and their latest album has only enhanced that love.

Tove Lo – Queen of the Clouds

Released: September 20th, 2014

“Stay High” has become the go-to song for many college girls going through a difficult breakup and because of it, artist Tove Lo has gained a huge amount of recognition. Self-proclaimed “Queen of the Clouds” on her track “Not On Drugs,” Tove Lo’s album, Queen of the Clouds proves that she really is a pop queen. With nineteen tracks on her newest album, Tove Lo gives listeners a chance to connect with her emotions and feelings through dancy, pop hits aside from just “Stay High.”

Emerson contributor