This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While I do love the winter time with its dreamy candy canes and gingerbread, I can’t get enough of fall flavors. Now that it’s officially November, I’m fully invested in taking advantage of the remaining weeks to splurge on all the fall desserts and easy to make recipes. When else is it cool to be obsessed with pumpkin spice? The following recipes and ideas are absolutely perfect for some Thanksgiving dessert inspiration too! If you feel the same way, here are a few examples of easy to make fall dessert recipes to try before December, varying from only requiring a microwave to a full on oven.

Classic Pumpkin Pie

When I think of the classic fall flavors, I tend to categorize them in 3 sections: pumpkin, apple, and spices. There is nothing that compares to the simplicity of a gorgeous pumpkin pie, covered with a bit of whipped cream and a crunchy crust. Although it’s not super easy to make inside of a dorm, it usually only requires a few ingredients and some oven time. Premade pie crusts and canned pumpkin pie filling are being sold at literally any and every grocery store to feed the rush of crazy fall obsessed people (like me). This is a great simplified recipe that includes the basic store bought ingredients that will (pumpkin) spice up your life! Also, there is absolutely NO shame in buying a premade pumpkin pie, whether it be because you’re on a tight budget or just a little lazy— there is only shame in depriving yourself of a slice of pie!

Pumpkin Mug Cake

To continue my pumpkin subcategory, I wanted to include a much more low-effort, college-friendly treat and this awesome twist on the viral mug cake trend is the best example. It’s unbelievably quick and easy to make.  This amazingly convenient recipe only requires 5 ingredients and is sure to make all your fall dreams come true, even from a dorm room. Since it requires a vanilla or spice cake mix, you can also keep it handy and make it over and over again when you’re in the mood for a sweet treat. The only downside is that it only makes one portion and it’s guaranteed you’ll want more!

Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal Cups

I am seriously obsessed with this recipe– it somehow manages to incorporate some healthier ingredients into a delicious breakfast treat and taste like crunchy pumpkin goodness. This is another one that’s not college friendly, but could put all the leftover cans of pumpkin puree in your house to good use. It really doesn’t require any crazy ingredients you wouldn’t already have at home and they can even be stored for up to 3 months. Who doesn’t love a good muffin?

Pumpkin Oats

To close off  the pumpkin section of these recipes, I want to end with a personal favorite : Pumpkin oats. Oatmeal is one of the most versatile breakfasts and throwing in some pumpkin puree, spices, pecans, and almond milk will make your breakfast taste like a giant bowl of pumpkin spice latte. If you’re anything like me, this is my dream come true. The best part is that this is super easy to make and college-friendly, all you really need to cook it is a microwave and some patience. The recipe referenced before is just one example of this meal, keep in mind that you can easily purchase some fall flavored instant oatmeal packets at pretty much any grocery store. I like to add some protein powder, nut butters, and a dollop of greek yogurt to pack in the protein in the morning and keep you full all day long.

Baked Apples

The next fall category: apples. Even though I’m from South Florida and have never been able to experience the joys of apple picking, I have heard of how common it is for families to come home and have way too many apples than they know what to do with! Apples also fill me with feelings of fall and warmth, so I want to start the category off with some simple baked apples. This recipe is so delicious because these baked apples are not only soft and sugary themselves, but they are filled with a crunchy oatmeal maple filling. It’s not college friendly, but it could make for a fun activity back at home with family and friends, as coring apples without an apple corer can be quite the group effort. 

Apple Crisp

Crunchy, brown sugar apple crumble is a flavor I cannot stop thinking about lately. Luckily, I found this awesome recipe that only takes five minutes in the microwave! Perfect for students in dorms, this crisp will make you feel like you’re back home. It’s so easy to make and makes a HUGE portion that is great to save for later. There are a few other takes on the microwave apple crisp, so if you’re picky I do recommend a quick Google search.

Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars

Seriously, just read the name of this dessert again. I’m not sure it can get any better than a moist shortbread crust with a spiced apple filling topped with caramel streusel. This has been on my recipe to-do list for a few months and I’m so pumped to finally make it before November ends. This is definitely something you’ll need some help with if you’re not an experienced baker and it may require a longer trip to the grocery store, but I’m one hundred percent sure it will be worth it. Capturing the perfection of a caramel apple and a satisfying shortbread pie crust is not something you can do everyday.

Snickerdoodle Mug Cake

Moving on from the fruity apple category, the final section will include fall desserts centered around fun seasonal spices. This twist on the viral mug cake trend is somewhat similar to the aforementioned pumpkin alternative, except it includes a lot more cinnamon and sugar. It is SO easy to make and perfect for a cold day in Boston when your sweet tooth is driving you crazy. It’s also a great way to start transitioning from fall to winter flavors, as the snickerdoodle cookie is inevitably a winter classic. If you have time, making some classic snickerdoodle cookies is always a good way to go too.

Cinnamon Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread

Although the beginning stage of quarantine around March seems like a lifetime ago, I’m still loving the trend of quick breads: banana bread, apple bread, or really any type of cakey bread recipe that does not require the laborious task of kneading and waiting for dough to rise. On that note, I have to say that this recipe gave me hope for the fall season all throughout the summer. It is so much fun and Instagram worthy, because when you cut into it it has this beautiful cinnamon sugar swirl in every slice. These quick bread recipes exist for almost every type of leftover fruit or flavor, not just the fall trends!

Cinnamon Rolls

In order to end on a high note, I had to save the best for last. I have always avoided the scary task of making homemade cinnamon rolls: you have to knead the dough and bake it like real bread. It’s just not something I’m good at nor do I enjoy it. Because of this, I’ve found ways around my fear so that I can still savor the pillowy deliciousness of a warm bun.There are a lot of options:  you can opt for a fun microwave recipe like this one, you can try some no knead recipes like this one, or you can buy premade cinnamon rolls, like these.

Even if you miss out on a few fall recipes as November quickly comes to a close, remember you can always make these ideas year round or you can just skip straight to the winter flavors. Happy fall baking (or microwaving)!

Anna Arriaga

Emerson '24

Hey! My name's Anna (sometimes Annie) Arriaga and I'm from the pastelito-filled land of Miami, FL. I'm currently studying in Boston, MA at Emerson College, majoring in Business of Creative Enterprises with a minor in Narrative Nonfiction. I'm a food blogger and writer with a particular affinity for all things dessert, Ben & Jerry's and MilkBar being my two go-to's.
Emerson contributor