tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Navigating Group Gifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Here are some tips to reduce the stress of gift exchanges with your friends. Whether you’re participating in Secret Santa or just trying to find the perfect gifts for your suitemates, Her Campus Emerson has you covered.

1.) Set a price limit

This might seem obvious, but make sure you remember to set a price limit before everyone starts shopping. This way, there won’t be a gifting imbalance; for example, your roommate spending $50 on you, when you just got her a $5 Dunkin gift card.

Bonus tip: Unless it’s a gift card, remember to remove any tags or stickers that say the price. Even if you set a price, it’s still gift-giving etiquette.

2.) Cards are an option

Strapped for cash? Even if you can’t afford to get a gift for everyone on your list, a homemade card will still let people know you’re thinking about them during the holidays and allows you to add some sweet personal touches.

3.) Create a chart of gift ideas

If you’re participating in a larger gift exchange, you may not know everyone in the group very well, which can make shopping difficult. Try creating a group chart which lists some basic gifting info about each person. Some good categories to include are  “favorite colors” and “what I have enough of.” This will allow you to have some idea of what to get without having to ask the person directly and tipping your hand.

4.) Don’t wait until the last minute

You don’t want to be the one member of your friend group half-assing gifts. The holidays are stressful enough on their own, but they also come at the same time as finals and other end-of-semester events. Make things easier on yourself and knock out some of your shopping before things get too busy.

5.) Have fun!

Try not to get caught up in the stress and have fun with your gifting! Use your creativity and you’re bound to find some great gifts your friends will love.

Happy Holidays!

Abby McAuliffe is a junior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. In the future, she hopes to become an editor and science fiction author.
Emerson contributor