This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Earlier this year, I read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom at the insistence of my sister. As I flipped through the dusty brown pages gently and read every word, my heart melted from the endearing messages. I even teared up at the beautiful relationship formed by Mitch Albom and his professor named Morrie. 

When I put the book down, I could feel my heart booming with hope. I knew this novel was special. Looking back at the time I read it, I remember catching myself reflecting on life with every page I turned and thinking, “Oh! That’s one of my New Year’s resolutions!” or “This is so relatable and true.” Tuesdays with Morrie taught me some valuable life lessons that I often forget — lessons that I believe are invaluable and should be practiced more. 

person reading poetry books next to tea and flowers
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

1. Slow down. Prioritize. Make time. 

My day always moves in a whirlwind while I am at home; whether I am on my phone watching YouTube videos or working, I feel that there is not enough time. With this in mind, I find myself typing on my keyboard as fast as I can getting all my thoughts down or timing how fast I could finish my readings. I get so wrapped up in all of the nerves, stress, and fear that it just eats up all the time. I get stuck in my head and overthink. Some even say that I forget about the people around me and that I am not the only person in this world dealing with problems. It’s true, unfortunately. 

When I read Tuesdays with Morrie, I recall taking in all of the words that came to life, and how it made me feel like I was invisible in the corner of the room, listening to Albom and Morrie’s conversation. That’s how life should be spent: not trying to beat the clock before it runs out, to take a time out when I worry, to burst my bubble by spending time with the people who fill my heart with hope and love, and to listen, even when there is silence. This may also include taking time alone, reflecting, and reassessing the situation. It’s the small moments that become the big moments in our lives that we carry along with us. I shouldn’t take it for granted, and though I do, I should practice not to.

2. Emotions are powerful: let go, forgive, and understand. 

I can’t count the number of times last year where I have sulked in my emotions for far longer than I should have, or when I have reacted to something impulsively without thinking it through, sending myself into a frenzy of emotions. Oftentimes it would lead to self-pity, trying to hold onto my pride that I am not okay and that their opinions of what is happening are wrong. I torture myself by trying to believe in my emotions, fueling it that it just spins out of control, and not accepting that I am wrong. 

When I read the book, all I could think about were the times last year where I was stubborn and fed my ego, saying to myself, “I know I am right,” even though I wasn’t. The people who knew me the best saw what was happening and what I was doing, yet I refused to let go. I have to let go of any grudge, mistake, or emotion. It’s not worth it, worrying people around me, feeling sorry for myself, and possibly jeopardizing my relationships and my mental health. I have to accept that I shouldn’t hold on to my pride, and instead let it go. I have to understand that sometimes the people who know me the best know me better than I do and to let it be. The book reminded me that living and carrying regret is so powerful, that the best move is to free yourself by forgiving yourself and reflecting on your reasons for your wrongdoings, which is a simple yet challenging act to do. 

3. A small act comes a long way. 

Right now, I am thousands of miles away from my friends in Boston. Although I have friends nearby or relatives who are in a different province, I don’t see them. While I enjoy their company through Zoom, they are still out of reach. Additionally, with their time differences and busy schedules, it can be difficult to go on a call or even to chat with them. I can’t even express how much I miss them and the days where we can talk and have fun. 

However, even if distance and time can be a barrier, there are different and simple ways to still connect with them, like Albom bringing food and visiting Morrie. The book reminded me that we shouldn’t lose contact with those who are close to us and make an effort to show our love and how much they mean to us. It could be as simple as sending my grandmother a video of me singing, or silly dog videos to my friends. While I sometimes don’t think these gestures have much impact, they can make them smile, put them in a better mood, or remind them of the funny moments that might just make them fall on the floor and laugh so hard that their belly aches. It shows them that they are not forgotten, that they are in your memory, and that we miss them. Though we may be separated by distance, we are bonded by spirit and that will not break. 

4. Be true to yourself. 

I have so many dreams right now and I am blessed that I am pursuing my passion for writing here at Emerson. I can’t wait to do it for the rest of my life. However, I do think about the future from time to time, wondering “can I make it as a writer? Will I be successful? Will I be able to pay my bills? Will I be able to provide for myself?” I understand that being a writer, or working in any profession during the pandemic is difficult. Though I have a world of opportunity at my fingertips, getting that opportunity is difficult. With the ongoing pandemic, those opportunities become rare gems and can be hard to come across. More than ever it is a game of luck. Life happens and so we adapt. 

Morrie taught me that when life gives us another offer that we don’t expect, I should never forget who I am. I have to continue to dream and hold onto the values I was taught. Even if I am led on a different path, it is okay to continue to look for open doors where I can chase that goal I want to achieve. My dream and the values instilled in me can be the northern star that points me back to the road I was meant to take when I am lost and afraid. I shouldn’t change or forget who I am, and fall into a trap wherein I am no longer the person I want to be. I have to trust myself enough to know that I am capable of taking the long, rough, winding road, and regardless of the outcome, I am still the person I aim to be.   

For me, it is more than just a novel — it is a guide on how to succeed and live the best life we can. It is a compilation of lessons that can be interpreted and done in a multitude of ways, and lessons that will remain universal for years to come. It reminds us that life is precious, so we must learn from it, and do what we can to be fulfilled and content with who we are. 

Thank you Morrie for your wonderful lessons — they are forever engraved in my heart.

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
Emerson contributor