Republic Records
Style

Taylor Swift’s Style Throughout the Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Each time Taylor Swift drops an album, a new era begins. The world and Swifties alike have watched Swift’s music style change and with it, her personal style. A new album means a new wardrobe, a new hairstyle, and overall a new feel to Swift’s look. Keep reading to see how Taylor Swift has showcased her country girl persona, inner baddie, and everything in between with the release of new music. 

Taylor Swift Era: 2006-2008

Swift’s debut album is a collection of country songs which help familiarize listeners with her roots. We hear Swift sing about a pickup truck, famous country singer Tim McGraw, and the teardrops on her guitar. During this era, Swift embraces her country girl roots through her wardrobe. Both her street clothes and outfits for photo shoots and concerts give the singer an effortless country look. In the cover photo for her first ever single “Tim McGraw”, Swift wears a yellow floral sundress with brown leather cowboy boots. The country cowboy boots are also seen on stage during performances. For a casual outfit, Swift often wore fitted t-shirts with lowrise jeans. No matter what Taylor was doing, her long hair was always styled to accentuate her tight, blonde curls during this era. 

Fearless Era: 2008-2010

While Fearless is still a country album, Swift starts to move away from the traditional style of country music and includes elements of pop in her songs. With this new era, her style begins to divert from that of a traditional country girl. The cowboy boots and sundresses are ditched for sequence fringe dresses with tall black boots on stage. Swift still rocks her curls, but they are a little bit looser, and sometimes she wears her blonde hair in waves.  

Speak Now Era: 2010-2012

During the Speak Now era, Swift rocks short elegant dresses on stage and on the red carpet. The purple halter dress worn on the Speak Now tour is definitely one of Swift’s most iconic looks from this era. She often still wears her hair in curls but she experiments with updo’s, ponytails, and side braids. While on tour, Swift also began to write song lyrics with black eyeliner on her arm. She also starts to wear red lipstick, which is one of my favorite fashion choices she makes. 

Red Era: 2012-2014

Just before the Red era, Swift cut her hair a little below collar bone length and got bangs. Her hair was often worn straight or in very loose waves, which was a big change from the previous era. During this era is when we really see Swift’s style start to evolve. A lot of her clothing is influenced by 50s retro fashion, such as high waisted shorts, stripes, and her signature fedora hat. This change in Swift’s wardrobe coincides with how pop Red is, even though it’s classified as a country album. Swift still wears all things that glitter while on stage, and incorporates what becomes her signature red lip into everyday looks. 

1989 Era: 2014-2017

With the release of Swift’s album 1989 might be my favorite change in her style. She cuts her hair shoulder length and usually wears it straight, which is huge since fans are used to seeing her style her hair with at least a little bit of a wave or curl on many occasions. For the first time ever, she wears crop tops in both her daily life and as a part of almost every costume on stage. Some of my favorite costumes are the white crop top and booty short set worn while singing “All You Had to Do Was Stay”, and the pink light up crop top with skirt worn during “How You Get the Girl.” Through the costuming for this tour, Swift wears her most revealing outfits on stage yet, and lets her fashion choices play into her sexiness while performing. In terms of makeup, Swift is often seen rocking her classic combo: a bold red lip and black winged eyeliner. This huge shift in Swift’s style represents the biggest risk she has ever taken music: leaving country songs behind and becoming a pop star. 

Reputation Era: 2017-2019

The old Taylor is dead, and with it, her old sense of style. During the Reputation Era, Swift remained out of the public eye but a lot is to be said about her wardrobe on tour. Many of her costumes are bodysuits, and black, covered in sequins. Her long legs are accentuated with fishnet tights and thigh high boots, which is something we had never seen her wear before. She went back to wearing her hair in loose waves and ditched her bright red lipstick for a darker, more sultry shade. 

Lover Era: 2019-2020

Swift’s style during the Lover era is quite different from Reputation. Black is swapped out for light pastel colors, mainly pink. Fringe has made a reappearance in Swift’s wardrobe and she is wearing all the colorful sparkles. While she still sports a red lip from time to time, she is soon wearing bright pinks and soft nude shades more. 

Folklore Era: 2020 to present day

With the Folklore Era, it is almost as if we have come full circle in some respects. For one, although the album is classified as alternative, songs like “Betty” give it a country feel. For promotional photoshoots for the album, we see Swift styled in babydoll dresses, boots, and her wavy hair in low buns. And of course, cardigans and other cozy fall apparel is rocked by Swift. 

Erin Renzi

Emerson '23

Erin is a junior studying journalism with a minor in publishing at Emerson College. She spends her free time in the gym, taking yoga and cycling classes, and trying out different restaurants and boba spots in Boston. Her obsession of Taylor Swift and cats make up a big part of her personality — and she's proud of that. Erin is an editor and writer for several publications on Emerson's campus and hopes to be a sex and relationships writer, style or beauty editor or music critic for a magazine in the future. Watch out, Cosmo!
Emerson contributor