This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Finals season is a stressful part of the semester. With papers to write, exams to study for, and projects to complete it can be easy to neglect your own wellbeing. But taking care of yourself is even more important during periods of stress. Here are a few tips for self-care during finals season. 

1. Fuel your body

During periods of high stress it is so important to make sure your body is getting adequate fuel. Your brain cannot function if it is not getting adequate nutrition. If you aren’t eating enough your body will not be able to do all of the things you’re asking it to do. Registered dietitian Lauren Planas encourages students to “plan their meals and snacks ahead of time to ensure they’re getting enough food.” If you have a long day of studying ahead, pack a few snacks to eat while you work to avoid going long periods without eating. 

1. Hydrate

Continuing on the theme of nutrition, hydration is so important during periods of stress. It can be easy to forget to drink water while zoned in on a paper but your body still needs hydration. If your caffeine consumption increases during exam season it is even more important to increase water consumption to keep your brain and body functioning at optimal performance level. 

1. Sleep

I know this sounds obvious but sleep is so important for memory function and overall health. Adequate rest is integral for memory function and energy levels. Try not to pull an all-nighter right before an exam. Not only do you need sleep for your brain to function but a lot of memory storage happens during sleep. 

1. Move your body

Movement during periods of high-stress is an necessary part of maintaining mental and emotional well-being. Try finding a way to move your body that feels good for you. If you hate doing yoga, try finding a different form of movement that you do enjoy. If the thought of going for a run makes you queasy, try an at-home workout video! Movement is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle but it is so important to move in a way that feels good for your body. 

Good luck and happy studying!

Rachel Hackam

Emerson '25

Journalism student and dancer at Emerson College I love writing about the arts, mental health, and all things entertainment!