Taking Action Against Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

April is observed as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The unfortunate truth is that sexual assault can happen to anyone, at any time, and at any place. This month, we should be aware not only of the victims of sexual assault and how it affects our society, but what outsiders can do to help make a difference.

Recently, I went out to dinner with a few of my friends when two guys sat down directly next to us and started creepily flirting with my friend. The more vocal one was clearly drunk and my friend was trying to ward him off, but he wasn’t getting it. Finally, she moved seats so that she didn’t have to sit next to him and we did our best to engage her in conversation and ignore the men next to us.

This is a tip that is heard time and time again: when you see someone in a position of discomfort, being harassed or at the risk of assault, offer them an “out” if you can. Even if you don’t know the person, you could be saving them from a traumatic experience by simply engaging in conversation with them. I’ve seen stories surface on the internet of strangers seeing girls be hit on or touched against their will and strangers will walk up to them, pretend they’re friends or sisters with the girls, and allow the girl to get away from the situation. Having another person present in a situation like that can sometimes be enough to stop a sexual assault experience from happening.

This April, and going forward, try to take special awareness of the space around you.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor