Sustainable Habits You Can Incorporate Into Your Everyday Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Let’s face it, sustainability is hard. Despite that though, living sustainably is really important, especially with the levels of pollution around us every day.  It may not seem like much, but making little changes to your routine can go a long way in helping to save the planet that we live on. I know you love the convenience of disposable items and packaging, however, these are the very things causing the climate and pollution issues unfolding.  So take a moment to look at these tips to see how you can help the planet a little bit every day.

1.) Unplug your chargers from the wall.

Energy is a resource we all use and need to use at certain times.  However, I guarantee that when you leave your dwelling, you don’t need to leave your iphone charger plugged in.  The same goes for other electronics and appliances. If you are not using your coffee pot, toaster oven, microwave, etc., they can all be unplugged to save you some money on your electric bill and to save the planet from its dwindling energy resources.  Sure, we have solar power and wind power that we can use, but a lot of energy actually comes from the depletion of natural resources that also give off high levels of pollution. 

2.) Switch to a reusable water bottle.

Probably one of the most simple ways to save the planet.  I know, grabbing a water bottle out of the fridge is convenient, however, this convenience puts hundreds of thousands of plastic bottles into the landfill, and even worse, the oceans (think about all the creatures living in your trash––it’s sad––don’t do it!).  Based on a 2017 article from Pennsylvania State University, the American population uses approximately 42.6 billion plastic water bottles every year.  Let that sink in.  

The article explains that based on the number of plastic water bottles the average person would need to drink in one day, that person would consume approximately 217 water bottles a year. Switching to a reusable water bottle for one year will save 217 plastic water bottles from ending up in the landfill. I have had my reusable bottle for more than a year and the amount of money I have saved using the same bottle (which is also lead and BPA free––another health benefit) has also been an added benefit in saving the planet. Yes, at face value, a reusable water bottle can be expensive, but in the long run, it is much cheaper to fill a reusable water bottle than it is to continually buy plastic ones, and you will be saving the Earth in the process.  

3.) Bring a reusable bag with you when you go shopping.

We all know that plastic bags can end up everywhere.  They can end up in trees and oceans and affect more than you might think. In looking at the effects of plastic bags, this one item alone kills 100,000 marine animals every year, as cited by Kate Bratskeir from Waste Management in her HuffPost article.  While the article also talks about the production effects of reusable cotton bags, the environmental effects on wildlife are substantial enough to warrant this change to reusable bags in my opinion (since the referenced article drew its conclusion by looking at only one of 14 different environmental factors).  

Additionally, while each of the three bag options have their flaws, the article calls into question the packaging of goods that we receive and place in these bags.  The effects of plastic wrap and other means of packaging goods are also to blame for issues surrounding pollution and overfilled landfills. All of that being said, being careful with the products you use and consume is the most important thing you can do.  And, if you are really hellbent on using plastic bags, just make sure to recycle them properly at a recycling factory, rather than tossing them out with your normal recycling since they need a special machine to break them down.  

4.) Walking to your destination.

Walking decreases pollution and increases exercise— what’s better than that? Walking to your destination can take longer, I get that, but you could also decide to bike, rollerskate, skateboard, or do any other means of foot traffic, and some of these are faster than others.  If it’s distance you are worried about, you could take public transportation instead of driving. And if there is no transportation and you absolutely have to drive, you can always try to set up a carpool to make sure that you are using the minimum amount of gas possible to get from point A to point B.  There are plenty of options, and while yes, jumping in your car and going when you want to is more convenient, that does not mean it is good for the environment. Who knows? You might even make a new friend rollerblading to work.

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.