Surviving Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As most of us know, Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. Although this is the holiday of love, it can quickly turn into the holiday of stress if you’re single, if you and your significant other can’t decide on the right plan for the day, or if you are single and crushing. Freaking out about it won’t help so remember to keep a few things in mind about this holiday in the coming week.

If you are single, there is no need to dread this holiday. In fact, it would be wise to take advantage of it. Sure, all of your friends who have significant others in the area will be with them all day, and probably all night, and there will be couples out in full force, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a killer day with your single friends. Turn it into a single’s day. Go out with some people and splurge a bit. Enjoy being young and free of a committed relationship while you can. As you know, there are plenty of activities to do around Boston. Do what you normally don’t have the time to do. Have a day of shopping, go to the M.F.A. or I.C.A (which are free with your Emerson ID!), or make that trip you’ve always wanted to take to the aquarium and swoon over some adorable otters. It’ll be a fun day you and your friends will always remember if you make it special. If you’re sick of seeing couples buy each other gifts or carnations, use it as a day to give corny love notes and candy to your friends. Buy them a carnation outside of the D.H! Regardless of whether or not you participate in the more commercial aspects of it, they will appreciate the fun activities and extra love. It will make their day.

For the indecisive couples, first of all, stop stressing. Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a day where you can truly appreciate your significant other; it doesn’t mean you need to create the perfect date night with high price tags and amazing presents. Ultimately, it is about what matters most which is spending time with the person you love. This can be done with something as simple as a date night-in with cheap microwaveable popcorn, some bottled wine, and Netflix. It doesn’t have to be Newbury Street dining with bouquets of roses, boxes of gourmet chocolates, and massive teddy bears. This holiday is about the relationship, not the activities planned or presents, so relax, do something stress-free that you both can enjoy together, and make a day out of it.

On the other hand, if you are trying to do the more extravagant date night and embrace your dream plan, go for it. Your average college kid will never say no to some great food, flowers, chocolates, or adorable stuffed animals that their love gave to them. In the end, it is about doing whatever you two want to do and it will be memorable just the same. Want to make it more romantic? Think back to your first date(s) and remember what you did that day. Try incorporating some of your fondest memories into this coming Valentine’s Day. Bring them to that special spot or take them out to dinner like you did that first time. There’s no better way to say “I love you” than bringing it back to the memories that sparked it all in the first place.

For those of you who are single and wanting more from that special person, proceed with caution. Asking someone to be “yours” or asking them on a date when you’ve never fessed your love to them before puts a lot of pressure on that person and may even turn them off to the possibility of being with you in the future. There’s nothing wrong with leaving chocolates or a flower at their door for them with a cute, and possibly anonymous, note, but don’t overwhelm them. Asking someone on a date on this day creates too many confusing expectations that a potentially forming relationship cannot hold up against at first. Also keep in mind that some people who are single on Valentine’s Day are happy being single and are tired of love being rubbed in their face. Seriously. Take it easy and wait until after the fourteenth for anything beyond a tiny gift.

In the end, this is just a holiday that will come and go just as quickly as all of the others do. If you want to embrace it, do so in a way that will make you the happiest. If not, wait until after and buy some candy that is on sale from a drug store, or not. But remember, you will get through it!

Hi! My name is Chelsea and I am a writer for Her Campus Emerson
Emerson contributor