This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Spring is coming earlier this year, which we’re all thankful for! Flirty dresses, pastels and flats are always a welcome addition to our wardrobes. It’s almost time to shed the heavy knit sweaters and blanket scarves. Here is a simple guide on how to become ready for spring quickly, without sacrificing any style!

1. Make it Light

Buy a few new pieces in lighter colors. Chances are you’ve been wearing a lot of black, greys and earthy tones for the past few months. Spring is a chance to experiment with fun colors, including lilacs and mints. You can also make it light by transitioning to lightweight shirts, pants, skirts and dresses. While it can still be chilly in spring, layering these materials under a chunkier sweater in neutral tones can create an effortless look.  

2. Swap textures

When the first sunny day hits, you need to put away your velvet, wool and any and all things puffy! Spring is a time for light, breathable fabrics. Scarves should change over from knit to cotton, leather boots to soft booties. It feels better to wear lighter textures during spring, and you can always add a cardigan or leather jacket for the chillier days. 

3. Add accessories

You should never feel like you have to buy an entirely new spring wardrobe every year, but you can if you find that fun! For those of you who don’t want to completely make a new wardrobe for a season that ends fairly quickly, you can simply invest in some new accessories. Think delicate pieces of jewelry, or a fun handbag. 

Have fun creating your outfits! HCXO.

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor