This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

So you want to get into reading. Maybe you enjoyed reading in middle school but haven’t picked up a book outside of class in years. Maybe you’ve never liked to read but want to give it a try. Whatever your motivations are, here are a few tips to give you a head start on your reading journey. 

1. Manage your expectations. 

You’re not going to go from never reading to reading 15 books in a month. Setting reasonable reading goals will allow reading to be an enjoyable experience instead of just another assignment to complete. Try to fit reading into your daily routine in a way that works for you. If it’s unrealistic to spend an hour reading in the morning, try to find another time to read. Maybe you have a 30 minute commute every day and you can pull out a book on the T. Start small; aim to read for ten minutes a day, and then increase from there.

1. Find books you enjoy.

If you’re trying to read Crime and Punishment, reading isn’t going to be a very enjoyable experience. Don’t worry about what books you “should” be reading, instead focus on finding a book you want to read. If you have friends that are book-lovers, ask them  about their favorite books. Look at BookTok: the side of TikTok dedicated to all things book related. It’s okay if you don’t want to read all of the popular books, but you might find some hidden gems in the BookTok world. It is going to take some time to curate your reading taste. Visit your local library and ask the librarians for help! They are incredibly knowledgeable and love sharing book recommendations!

1. Don’t be afraid to try audiobooks.

If you have trouble focusing for long enough to read, try audiobooks! Many audiobooks are narrated by the author and they’re a great way to immerse yourself into a world  Audiobooks are great for when you’re on the go and you can’t carry a physical book with you!  Try not to get too caught up in what reading “looks like.” 

Here are a few book recommendations to get you started! Happy Reading!

1. The Vanishing Half  by Brit Bennett
  2. Book Lovers by Emily Henry
  3. Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  4. Slouching Towards Bethlehem by Joan Didion
  5. Sex and Rage by Eve Babitz 
  6. Seven Days in June by Tia Williams
  7. Heartburn by Nora Ephron
  8. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin
  9. Writers and Lovers by Lily King
  10. Luster by Raven Leilani
Rachel Hackam

Emerson '25

Journalism student and dancer at Emerson College I love writing about the arts, mental health, and all things entertainment!