Small Ways to Practice Sustainability in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The earth has already hit a point of irreversible damage, so why should we care about going green? For starters, according to the U.N., due to a loss of biodiversity, the world’s food supply is under a “severe threat.” Additionally, because of climate change, extreme weather conditions and infectious and airborne diseases have become more common, and the coral reefs, which support extremely diverse ecosystems, are dying. If we want to diminish the impact of global warming for future generations, we must start treating the planet better.

While starting entire green organizations on your campus is amazing and the most effective for large-scale change, there are many smaller, simpler changes you can incorporate into your daily routine to help lead a more sustainable lifestyle that will also help the planet! Some other perks of going green are lower electric and water bills, improvements to your health, and creating a healthier environment for the future.

Use reusable items

From bags to water bottles to coffee mugs to straws to cutlery to plates, cups, and napkins, these items should be bought to be used more than once. Ditch the plastic silverware, paper plates, and solo cups, and invest in real utensils that you can wash and reuse. Additionally, you should use cloths instead of paper towels, and invest in reusable cotton pads for removing your makeup. In the long run, buying all of these items will be cheaper!

Eat less meat

I’m not saying that you have to go vegan in order to save the planet, but simply reduce the amount of meat that you consume. The global livestock industry – raising cows, pigs, and chickens – generates more greenhouse gas emissions than all cars, trains, planes, and ships combined according to Our World. Furthermore, animal products have a larger water footprint than other crops according to the Water Footprint Network. So in order to make the most difference for the environment, try doing meatless Mondays or replacing one meal a day or week with a vegetarian or vegan option. Even if it is just one or two meals a month, any way that you are reducing your meat intake helps the planet! According to Greenpeace, livestock production contributes to climate change, soil, air, and water pollution, and ocean dead zones, so choosing to eat more plant-based foods can effectively help improve the planet’s health.

Unplug

Unplug your electronics overnight or when you are not using them. Electricity is still being consumed when your devices are plugged in but not in use, so unplug your chargers, microwave, television, toaster, and any other devices you own. Instead of going around to unplug everything at night, use power strips so that you can easily unplug many devices at once.

Go thrift shopping!

In addition to being cheap and trendy, going thrift shopping and buying items second-hand saves water, reduces waste, and emits less carbon since there is no need to manufacture a new product.

Use LED lights

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, in comparison to incandescent lighting, LED lighting uses 75 percent less energy and lasts 25 times longer, so switch your light bulbs to LED lights to easily be more environmentally friendly.

Watch water and light usage!

Instead of leaving the water running while you brush your teeth, wash your face, or wash dishes, shut the water off. Also, cut down on your shower time to help reduce the amount of water you use. When it is light out, open the shades and use natural light instead of wasting electricity and energy on lighting a room. Furthermore, when you leave a room, shut the lights off.

Walk, bike, or take public transportation to as many places as much as you can

If something is close enough, walk to get to your destination. Walking does not use any fossil-fuels or pollute the air. Biking is another great alternative, and you can buy a second-hand bike to further help keep your carbon footprint low. If where you need to go is too far away to walk or the weather is not good, use public transportation. Incorporating these methods of transportation into your everyday lifestyle reduces the amount of vehicle and greenhouse gas emissions and pollutants according to the Federal Transit Administration. Additionally, they help save energy and fuel, and once again, are cheaper.

Go paperless in the classroom

Take notes on your laptop, tablet, or phone in order to reduce the amount of paper you use.

Buy in bulk

Buy your produce in bulk from farmers markets and bulk food stores. Additionally, you should make a conscious effort to buy produce in season and food from local farms so you are not contributing to the immense greenhouse gas emissions that factory farms produce. Buying in bulk also includes buying bigger bottles of shampoo, conditioner, cleaning supplies, etc. in order to reduce the amount of waste you create. Luckily, buying fewer, larger bottles is also cheaper than buying smaller bottles more frequently.

Put an extra layer of clothing on instead of turning up the heat

Adding clothes rather than turning up the heat in you dorm, apartment, or home saves energy, helps the environment, and lowers your heating bill.

Buy a plant (or three)

In addition to being a cool decoration, buying a plant for your dorm, apartment, or house is super helpful for purifying the air. Plants reduce air pollution by absorbing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen.

Air dry your clothes

Instead of using a machine dryer when you clean your clothes, invest in a drying rack so that you can air dry them. This tip conserves energy and saves fossil fuels and money. Also, when washing your clothes, put the washer on the cold setting instead of the warm or hot setting to decrease the amount of energy used to heat the water.

Recycle

Last but not least, is recycle. Recycling paper, plastic, glass, and metal reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills. It also conserves natural resources, saves energy, prevents pollution, and helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Now that you know all of these tips, you can easily implement them into your lifestyle and you’ll be on your way to making the world a healthier, cleaner place for you, your peers, and future generations.

Megan Doherty

Emerson '21

Journalism student at Emerson
Emerson contributor