The Simple Material You Need to Decorate Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

At the beginning of the year, my roommate Jordyn and I realized we lucked out with the most wall space either of us has ever had at college. While we already had a bunch of posters and other wall decorations, we still had a bunch of space left to customize. One of us mentioned the idea of using some paint swatches and creating a frame of color, but our vision ended up spiraling far past that when we realized how much you can do with the color chips. You can find them in home improvement stores, but I would recommend checking out your house if you’ve painted recently because you may have some hidden around that can be recycled! Here are some ideas with my own pictures if you want to add some color to your dorm room.

Rainbow Border

This idea will probably work best if you have paint chips from the same brand that are in the same size/style and in different colors. We arranged them at the top of the wall near the ceiling to create a rainbow wall border.

Pictures

If you’re crafty enough, you can cut out pieces of the swatches to form a bigger picture to tape up to your wall. Jordyn is a lot more artistic than I am, and she was able to create this flower out of different shades of red and yellow.

Letters

If you have some string and command hooks, you can make letters out of the swatches and hang them up to make a sign. Ours is geared toward fall, but you can use it for any occasion, even just a general “welcome.”

Mosaic

I already had a light-up letter A decoration sitting in my windowsill, so I decided to trace it over some cardboard from an empty box I had to make an A to hang on my door. This one is a work in progress, but if you have a bunch of different colors or even different shades in a similar color scheme, you can make a really pretty piece.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor