Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer With Notebooks
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

Self Care Tips for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Papers. Presentations. Finals. With all of this going on during finals week, it can be easy to allow yourself to get stressed and feel burnt out. Even just taking a few moments each day to care for yourself can make a big difference in your mental health and stress levels. Read on to learn some tips that will help you survive finals week.

Plan out your assignments.

One of the best ways to set yourself up for success during finals week is to plan out when you will work on assignments and study. Planning ample time to complete each item on your to-do list will help you feel less overwhelmed and produce better quality work. You can use a planner, the notes app on your phone, a calendar— whatever works for you! And if your timeline for when you are able to complete assignments changes a bit, that’s okay. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you are submitting assignments on time. 

Have a “spa” moment.

woman standing in front of a mirror applying cream
Photo by Ekaterina Bolovtsova from Pexels

A great way to take a breather from the craziness of finals is to take care of your physical self. Think about doing a face mask, taking an extra long shower or bath, or getting your nails done. These things don’t take a lot of time out of your day, but without a doubt will make you feel much more relaxed. 

Have something planned to look forward to.

Because finals week can feel like a never-ending amount of homework and studying being piled on, have a few things to look forward to throughout the week. Maybe plan to get dinner with a friend during the week, or plan a COVID safe weekend trip for when finals are over.

Exercise.

No matter the time of year, exercise always makes me feel mentally stronger, and I feel as though it increases my productivity as well. If you can’t keep up with your normal workout routine due to the business of finals, that’s okay. Try to fit in a quick ab workout, a yoga class, or even a run. Exercise can be a great way to get you up and moving in the morning or provide a midday break from your computer screen.  

Get some fresh air. 

Odds are between Zoom classes and homework, you’ve been stuck inside, eyes glued to your computer screen more than you would have liked this semester. Take advantage of sunny days by doing homework in the Boston Common, having a picnic lunch in the Public Garden, or taking a walk around the city. 

Treat yourself.

Sometimes you just need to spoil yourself. Go buy yourself an overpriced latte, lunch from your favorite spot, or those shoes you’ve been eying for weeks. After another college semester in the middle of a pandemic, you’ve earned it. Be proud of yourself for finishing the Spring 2021 semester — better and more normal times are ahead. 

Erin Renzi

Emerson '23

Erin is a junior studying journalism with a minor in publishing at Emerson College. She spends her free time in the gym, taking yoga and cycling classes, and trying out different restaurants and boba spots in Boston. Her obsession of Taylor Swift and cats make up a big part of her personality — and she's proud of that. Erin is an editor and writer for several publications on Emerson's campus and hopes to be a sex and relationships writer, style or beauty editor or music critic for a magazine in the future. Watch out, Cosmo!
Emerson contributor