Second Time Around Finds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When you go shopping for a new outfit (or new outfits), you might hit all the usual places: Forever 21, H&M, Urban Outfitters, etc. But have you ever tried local consignment store Second Time Around? At consignment stores, people can go in and sell their old, unwanted clothes, which are then resold to customers, most often at reduced prices. Unlike charity or thrift stores, where the original owners of a piece of clothing give up any legal possession of the item, those who sell to consignment stores retain legal possession until the item is sold and get some of the proceeds from the sale. So, in addition to being an opportunity to earn some extra cash, consignment stores are also a great place to buy clothing that is relatively inexpensive but still of decent quality, since everything in the store has been “approved” for sale. Juniors Breanna Locke and Alyssa Heavey model four different kinds of outfits found in Second Time Around on 176 Newbury Street, all of them under $90. Breanna wears the semi-formal and conservative (for religious services or meeting a significant other’s parents) outfits while Alyssa wears the casual and work outfits.

1.     Dress, Dresses Glove, $49.50 (originally $99)

Total: $49.50

2.     Sweater, Splendid, $29

3.     Jeans, Mavi, $50

Total: $88

4.     Top, Zara, $12 (originally $15)

5.     Skirt, Angora Sport, $15.20 (originally $19)

Total: $27.20

6.     Shirt, Bailey 44, $39

7.     Skirt, Banana Republic, $17.50 (originally $25)

Total: $56.50

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop