Saturday, January 21: A Worldwide Rally for Freedom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The presidential inauguration was not the only event that happened this weekend. Almost 2 million people worldwide had their schedules booked for the women’s march. The result was astounding. The event was originally started on Facebook by a Hawaii grandmother, Theresa Shook. She started the “Women’s March” movement in large cities across the nation. This then began to spread worldwide, to cities such as Paris, France, Antarctica and Nairobi, Kenya.

This was a huge deal.

Not only because of the fact that Donald Trump’s inauguration ceremony had significantly less people in attendance than President Obama’s in 2008 and 2012, but also because of the worldwide response to the inauguration in forms of rallies, concerts and protests. Women, men and children all over the world gathered to fight for their rights.

Thousands of people in each large city marched the streets with “pussy hats”—pink hats with cat ears—and clever signs, chanting different phrases throughout the streets and parks. Each protest was completely peaceful, with police and EMTs prepared to help in the case of an emergency.

Here in Boston, amongst blue skies and warm spring-like weather, local celebrities such as Senator Elizabeth Warren took to the streets to join the thousands of protestors. “We can whimper, we can whine, or we can fight back!” she yelled as she marched amongst the crowd. She openly spoke about her opposition to Trump’s plans, saying, “We will not build a stupid wall!”

Many claim that this was not an objection to Trump’s presidency, however, the timing of the march sent a strong message. This march was created to bring together people who want to see their rights protected, and to bring attention to certain conversations and topics that were brought up by Donald Trump’s campaign. It also attacked certain behavioral tendencies of Trump, and showed that they are not going to be accepted or normalized by any means.

This not only brought forth issues such as women’s rights, immigration and equality amongst gender rights, but it also exemplified the influence of technology in today’s society. Through media, these marches were organized and millions of people were brought together over the issue of a divided country.

I'm Mel, a hockey playing, musical performing, cat lover from Connecticut. An aspiring broadcast journalist, I hope to post content that captures the essence of emerson, while also encouraging others to make differences within their community.
Emerson contributor