Run into Spring With These Routes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I was told when I moved to New England that there would come a point in mid-March/early April when I would be fed up with the harsh wind, cold temperatures, and unexpected snowfalls. I was told I would be impatiently waiting for spring’s arrival—no matter how much I had previously said I loved winter and snow. While I still enjoy the cold weather, the recent transition into longer daylight hours, a grassy Boston Common, and warmer temperatures has certainly been a refreshing change. With all of this built-up energy from staying indoors, I’ve felt an increasing eagerness to break outside of Emerson’s campus and go for runs. And Boston’s cityscape is such a great place to do that. With so many diverse neighborhoods and interesting sites, there’s an infinite amount of things to distract your mind from the actual running. So set up your motivating
playlist and get decked out in a single layer of clothing. Once you’re ready, head out into the sun, and follow one of these scenic running routes that will lead you away from Emerson’s campus, into Boston’s outer community, and then back to Emerson’s front doorstep.

Route 1 (North End and Seaport District Loop):
For a quick and easy thirty-minute run, try this route. It has great views of the harbor, the ICA, and many new up-and-coming restaurants in the Seaport District. The route will take you down Tremont Street, toward the North End, and then bring you back toward Emerson along the Boston Harbor. For an extra push, include all of the Harbor’s piers in your run.
Distance: 2.5 miles

Route 2 (Back Bay, Esplanade, and Beacon Hill Loop):
For a moderate run, try this route. It will take you down Boylston Street, toward Massachusetts Avenue, and then along the beautiful Esplanade. Feeling extra energized? Bump up the calorie burn and add another great view by running across the Charles River Bridge at the end of the Esplanade. Another option? Run a few more inclined streets in Beacon Hill, along Cambridge Street.
Distance: 4.1 miles

Route 3 (Coolidge Corner and Boston University Loop):
If you’ve really been missing the warmer weather and are looking for a great, long running route, try this loop. It will take you through Boston University’s campus, into Brookline, past the Coolidge Corner Theatre, and then back along Beacon Street.
Distance: 7.8 miles

After you’ve tried these routes, check out this for more ideas!

Nikki Fig is a Broadcast Journalism major at Emerson College. She writes, produces and reports for shows on several Emerson television stations and is a web writer for Emerson's lifestyle publication, Em Mag. She is also the Philanthropy Chair of Alpha Epsilon Phi and recently returned from a study abroad program in Israel. Nikki is graduating in May and plans to move back to New York City. She wants to pursue a career in journalism that will enable her to combine her love of fashion, travel and culture.