Road Trip: Providence, RI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

While Boston is definitely a fun place to live in, even in a relatively big city, it’s possible to get bored. Luckily, Boston is close to many others, including its largest city neighbor, Providence, RI.

Located only about an hour south by both bus and train, Providence is like a smaller, quieter college town. Just like Boston, its many college students almost guarantees that there is always something to do. To see many college student haunts, visit Thayer Street, located in the middle of Brown University’s campus. From delicious food at places like East Side Pockets and La Creperie, to quirky boutiques like Pleasant Surprise, there are a ton of places to explore!

If you want to forget about college and the city altogether and connect with your inner child, visit the Roger Williams Park Zoo! There is a wide variety of animals and the zoo is filled with lots of trees and plants if you are looking for a bit of fresh air.

For a taste of suburbia, you can always visit the Providence Place Mall. Not only do they have three floors of food and stores but they also have an IMAX movie theatre and a Dave and Buster’s! Plus the views of the city from the huge windows inside are a stunning Instagram opportunity.

As far as nightlife, Providence has many clubs and music venues. Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel is a delightfully small venue with relatively inexpensive tickets.

Finally, if you visit at the right time, you might catch a WaterFire night. On these special nights the city of Providence lights bonfires along the Providence River and sponsors gondola rides down the river, live music, and, occasionally, vendors.

No matter where you go or what you do, you’re sure to have a great time in Providence!

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor