This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

September has come to a close, the semester is in full swing and many of us are starting to feel a little worn out. If you’re itching to get off-campus and out of the city, it might be time for a road trip!

What and Where:

A nearby seasonal favorite of Massachusetts dwellers is the King Richard’s Faire, a Renaissance festival located in Carver, MA that runs weekends in September and October. The faire is about an hour outside of Boston by car, but you can also opt to take the commuter rail to Plymouth and arrange for other transportation to Carver, about 15 minutes away. Located in a patch of woods, it’s the perfect escape from the craziness of the city. Be warned: the whole event can feel a bit corny, with period costumes, tons of singing and the occasional pet dragon. If you come with a sense of humor and a readiness to have fun, then you’ll have a great time!

What to Bring:

Although the cost of admission is currently $31, it might not be bad to bring along a little extra cash for food, and more importantly, shopping! All of the shows are free, but the rides, games, food tickets and other extras are not. How much you bring with you is entirely up to you! They only take cash, though they do have an ATM on site. Keep a look out for Groupons as well to save on admission!

What to Wear:

You may want to dress in costume or rent items there, but either way layering is key; Autumn in New England, after all, is very unpredictable! Make sure to bring a small bag for stowing away a sweatshirt and an umbrella!

What to Do:

Perhaps the most exciting thing about the faire is the continual stream of shows happening all day! There is always something to attend, whether it’s a comedy show, an acrobatics event or a joust. There are also a few rides, and games like archery. If none of that seems like a good time, you can always grab a cup of coffee and wander around the shops to get some early Christmas shopping done!

The King Richard’s Faire is an amazing way to step out of your daily routine for a while, enjoy the changing leaves and get out of the city without the hassle of packing up for a long trip. With a bit of imagination, you’re sure to have an amazing time!

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor