The Ride Sharing App Just for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Picture this: You have just spent the night out at a party with your friends and you have had a bit too much to drink… or more than a bit too much. Either way, you call a Lyft to get back home. The car is two minutes away and you shuffle your friends down the stairs and out the door. You step into the car and the man driving the car immediately begins asking you about your night. He seems friendly, and is making small talk at first, but the conversation soon changes and makes you feel a bit uncomfortable. He asks for your friend’s phone number and then starts to make comments about what you guys are wearing. Eventually, all of you exit the car at your apartment and he tells you to have a good night and makes kissing noises as you drive away.

Now picture this: You are a female Lyft driver and you are picking someone up from a party. You pull up to the house, the doors of the car open, and in step three drunk men, probably in their 20s. They seem nice at first; they are laughing and having a good time. They say hello to you. But then they start to say other things to you. The one sitting next to you in the front seat reaches for your shoulder. They begin to ask you questions about yourself and make comments about you. The situation is uncomfortable to say the least, and at the worst, terrifying. You eventually drop them off at their apartment and tell them to have a good night.

What if I told you there was a new ride sharing app in which all of the cars were driven by women?

“Safr” recently launched in Boston. The main purpose of the app is to make female drivers and travelers feel more comfortable getting into a car alone at night. Not only does it make some women feel safer, but it also provides more part time job opportunities for women in the greater Boston area.The company also has a central command center in Boston that tracks the routes of all of its car to ensure that the driver does not deviate from her route.

It gets even better though; a portion of all of Safr’s sales go to a charity to help benefit women and children.

Julia is junior attending Emerson College for her bachelor of arts degree in journalism. She is originally from a small town in New Hampshire. She enjoys writing about people and feels that everyone has a story to share with the world even if they don't know it yet. 
Emerson contributor