This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Recently, I finished watching The Wilds on Amazon Prime Video. I heard a lot of good things about the show from friends and family, but I was a bit skeptical because I never watched an Amazon Prime Original before. However, the show was very complex and I ended up enjoying it. 

The Wilds is about a group of teenage girls that think they are going on a summer retreat in Hawaii but end up in a planned plane crash. They end up at an island that has been set up for them, there are hidden cameras watching them. The reason that they are on the island is because it is part of an experiment to test how the girls will survive and to show the power of females. 

Right off the bat, I was thrown off by the plot. I found it very basic and almost done before. However, the show was a pleasant surprise. It included many plot twists and built a lot of suspense. As a viewer, I continually wanted to know what happened next. 

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

When I began watching the first episode I wasn’t too drawn to the show. I did not like how the characters were portrayed at first. The show has a similar vibe to The Breakfast Club in the way that all of the girls on the island are all different types of girls but they are forced to be together and get along with each other. In the first episode, I felt that each character was too stereotypical that there was not much of a believability. However, throughout the show the characters had great growth and their backgrounds were revealed. The revealing of the characters’ backgrounds made the characters more dynamic and more relatable to the viewers. 

After finishing the show I was completely shocked. No spoilers, but the ending left me speechless; I am dying to know what happens next. The Wilds grew on me more and more; the only complaint I had was that the girls were trapped on an island but somehow had cute outfits every episode and some of the dialogue sounded like an adult was trying to talk like a teenager. The Wilds is suspenseful and full of drama; if you are interested in a type of mystery and survival show, I would recommend watching it. 

Rachel Tarby

Emerson '24

My name is Rachel and I am a freshman at Emerson College. I am a Writing, Literature, & Publishing major. I'm from upstate New York. I have always loved reading and writing. I like music, hiking, exploring abandoned spaces, and kayaking. Instagram: @rachel_tarby
Emerson contributor