Resources for Young Women Starting Their Careers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re getting ready to graduate, finding a job is probably your biggest concern right now. It’s okay to be nervous when you begin job hunting, but luckily there are many resources out there for job hunters. Don’t be afraid to get creative! Here are a few places you can look for the tools to start your career off right.

Pinterest

Perhaps this seems like an odd place to look for career advice, but Pinterest is a valuable resource for everything from links to job boards to articles on how to dress for an interview! Simply search for what you’re looking for, such as “networking” or “job hunting,” and you’ll be able to look at many articles at once! Create a “Job Hunting” board, and read through what you’ve found later!

On-Campus Resources

Almost every college campus has an office dedicated to helping students launch their careers. At Emerson, you can always visit Career Services for job hunting advice, leads on where to apply and a chance to have someone look over your resume with you!

Her Campus

Did you know that Her Campus has their own job board?

These employers are specifically targeting college students and recent graduates, so this is a great place to get started on your job hunt! Her Campus also has an entire Career section devoted to providing you advice on how to land your dream job!

Your Connections

Don’t be afraid to put the word out that you’re looking for a job! Even if you don’t like to “network” in the traditional sense, or you don’t believe you have any “connections,” simply mentioning to your family and friends what you’re looking for can be a great way to get some job leads! Perhaps your aunt knows someone at a publishing house you’re interested in, or an ex-professor has heard about an opportunity at a marketing firm they think you’d be a great fit for. They won’t know you’re interested unless you get chatting!

Facebook Groups

Try and seek out a Facebook group for members (or even specifically for women) within your field! Even if you don’t get a job directly through Facebook, these groups are a great way to get advice and share comradery. They’re also a great way to share your work and get your name out there!

With a combination of job boards and web searches, real-life connections and a whole lot of confidence, you’ll land an amazing post-grad job. Happy job hunting, collegiettes!

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor