The Real Difference Between Ombre and Balayage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

After scrolling through Pinterest for hours looking at multiple hair pins, it’s hard to decipher the difference between ombre and balayage hair coloring. It’s totally normal to be confused between the difference when it seems like the overall goal of the hair color is the same – to get hair lighter. Luckily, the time has finally come to educate yourself on the difference between ombre and balayage!

• According to styleloungesd.com, ombre is “the transition of a lighter shade from a darker shade” and it is a style of hair, not a technique like balayage
  • Styleloungesd.com defines balayage as a technique of sweeping haircolor “through small triangle sections of the hair onto a board or foil, giving it the natural transition down into the lighter color”
  • Ombre is a more dramatic hair style while the balayage technique gives the hair a more natural look with darker pieces of hair blended in with lighter pieces towards the bottom of the hair

Still confused?

Check out the pictures that will settle your doubt once and for all!

BALAYAGE

OMBRE

OMBRE

BALAYAGE

BALAYAGE

OMBRE

Emerson contributor