This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Thrifting has become such an easy way to feel good about your fashion but not have to spend a fortune. Thrifting has allowed people to expand their closet and their style while purchasing affordable clothes. In the Boston area, there are many thrift shops. I went to five different thrift shops and rated them based on what stores have the best quality of clothing and the best prices! 

sustainable clothing rack
Photo by Charles Etoroma from Unsplash

#1 Boomerangs 

Address: 563 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 0213 

Boomerangs is a small thrift shop in Cambridge filled with many clothes for all people. They sell clothing that fits all different styles. They have many options for shirts, pants, shoes and jewelry. They even have a corner filled with cheap books and records. I was able to get good quality clothing made by notable brands from Boomerangs for only $3 each. Most of their clothes are vintage and are all sold at very affordable prices. Boomerangs has great customer service, you can tell that the employees are helpful and attentive. They follow COVID regulations very well as they only allow a certain amount of people in the store at once, so I would recommend going on the weekdays to avoid the lines. What I love most about Boomerangs is that they provide funding to AIDS Action and work to provide healthcare, education, research, and advocacy to the LGBTQ+  community. 

#2 Goodwill- Cambridge 

Address: 520 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139 

Right across the street from Boomerangs, the Goodwill Cambridge holds many treasures. What was most notable about the Goodwill Cambridge for me was that they have a huge selection of dresses. I was able to buy three very beautiful dresses for only $12 total. They also have a big selection of jeans, shoes, purses, and skirts. I feel that the only thing that they were lacking was shirts, they did not have many shirts or sweatshirts. However, there are many good finds at Goodwill Cambridge and everything is decently priced. 

#3 Blessing Barn 

Address: 107 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114 

Walking down Charles Street, I would not have guessed that such a cute and reasonably priced thrift shop would be there. However, Blessing Barn is home to many home decor products and clothing. I was intimidated while walking into Blessing Barn, assuming that in Beacon Hill everything would be expensive. However, the front of the store is filled with many unique items from $2 fancy wine glasses, to $5 records, to $1 mugs, to $10 paintings- Blessing Barn has something for everyone. In the back there is donated clothing, the clothing is very formal and most of the prices are high. However, while looking through the racks you will be able to find a pair of cute $10 jeans or a $10 sweater! The staff of Blessing Barn is very welcoming and is always happy to have customers in their presence. 

#4 SoWa Vintage Market 

Address: 450 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02118 

While SoWa is more of a flea market than an actual thrift shop, it is a must-see store in Boston. Only open on Sundays, I would recommend making a day out of visiting SoWa because there is so much to look at! The market is huge and has vendors selling various vintage items. The prices drastically range, as you can buy a $5 vintage magazine but a $300 coat. I would not recommend going to SoWa with the intent to buy a lot of items but instead just to look. All of the vintage items in the store make it truly fascinating. 

#5 The Garment District 

Address: 200 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139 

The Garment District was the first thrift store I visited in Boston; however, I was very disappointed. I heard much about it and had high expectations. It is a very big store and the atmosphere is so unique and fun to be in. However, they have many clothes that look the same and are very low quality yet very overpriced. 

Rachel Tarby

Emerson '24

My name is Rachel and I am a freshman at Emerson College. I am a Writing, Literature, & Publishing major. I'm from upstate New York. I have always loved reading and writing. I like music, hiking, exploring abandoned spaces, and kayaking. Instagram: @rachel_tarby
Emerson contributor