This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

2018 is coming to a close — thank you, next — and people are beginning to set their New Year’s resolutions. Instead of setting unreasonable goals (only to abandon the gym and salads a month later) that will inevitably bring negativity into your life, try setting manageable goals that can manifest positivity and improve your overall quality of life. Everyone wants the new year to be their best one yet, and you have complete control over that! I’ve listed some ideas of positive goals that you can make in the new year to make it the best one yet.

1.) Learn how to prioritize.

Staring at a page-long to-do list can be daunting. Learn how to prioritize your tasks so nothing is left for the last minute. Create a system, whether it be color coding, symbols, or a hierarchy, so you know which tasks need to be done first, and which ones you can move onto after those. This will keep you motivated and on task!

2.) Make plans.

At the beginning of each week or month, write down your plans for that period of time. This way you know when you can fit in social plans, when you can get studying in, or even when you can pick up an extra shift. If there’s something specific you want to do, put it in your schedule so you can base your plans and work around it.

3.) Don’t make plans.

But sometimes it’s okay to not make plans, or to change them! If you planned to go to the gym tonight, but you get free tickets to a movie you’ve been dying to see, go see the movie! While plans are good to have, you should never feel like you’re stuck. If the change of plans will make you happy, go for it!

4.) Read more.

I know, after the mounds of assigned readings for classes, the last thing you probably want to do is pick up a book. But reading can be a great source of entertainment, or a fun way to learn something new! Reading for fun is relaxing and stimulating, so take your time with it. And if books aren’t your thing, try a magazine or even just read more articles online!

5.) Do more of what makes you happy.

Yes, this sounds cliché. But as college students, we spend most of our time studying, working, and sleeping. It can be difficult, but try to make time for the things that make you happy. This can be as simple as taking a night for self-care, watching your favorite movie, or hanging out with your friends. Just as you should learn to prioritize those crazy aspects of your life, your happiness should be a priority too!

6.) Put effort into your outfits.

As tempting as it can be to throw on your favorite leggings (the ones with the hole on the inner thigh) and an oversized sweatshirt, putting effort into looking nice can do wonders for positivity. If you know you have a stressful day ahead, a nice outfit can make you feel better about yourself and make you feel more prepared for the day. Dress like the girl-boss that you are!

7.) Try to go to bed early and wake up early at least once a week.

If you learn to prioritize your tasks and start planning your days, you’d be surprised by how easy this goal can be. Waking up early can be a great way to kickstart your day and help you be productive. But to make the most out of it without compromising sleep, make sure you go to bed earlier the night before.

8.) Set reasonable health goals.

Yes, we all want to exercise more, eat more salads, and lose about ten pounds. But that’s not going to be a change that happens overnight. Instead, try to make small changes, like ordering coffee with skim or nut milk instead of creamer, drinking more water, or simply being more mindful when it comes to eating. Try new forms of exercise that you would actually enjoy. If you love music and feeling empowered, try a spin class! Small changes lead to positive effects.

9.) Try new things.

It’s easy to become stuck in your ways. A new year can give you new opportunities, so don’t be afraid to take them. Want to learn a new language? Download an app or sign up for an online course! Always wanted to go skiing? Research mountains and equipment rentals in the area!

Nicole Turner

Emerson '21

Publishing major at Emerson College. Lover of book design, young adult books, cheesy Netflix shows, and traveling!
Emerson contributor