you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Perks of Having An Off-Campus Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Most college students are living a money-tight lifestyle. While on-campus jobs are great, there are definitely some benefits to working off-campus. I think one of the perks is being able to choose from a huge variety of jobs instead of the limited ones the college offers. If you work off-campus, you can get a job doing virtually anything, which means you can do something you’re interested in and something that will give you real-world experience.

I babysit in Boston, and it’s the most ideal job I can imagine having. I love kids, I have flexible hours, and the money goes straight to me! Even if you don’t think babysitting is ideal for you, you can definitely get a job that gives you flexible hours and an enjoyable experience!

Looking for a job off-campus will also give you experience for when you’re looking for a job post-graduation. You’ll be able to learn what searching for a job is really like—and you might even get more interview experience!

Having an on-campus job is great if you can find one, but sometimes it’s hard to even find a job later in the semester! Off-campus jobs aren’t semester-specific, and you can usually find them at any time of year! If getting a job off-campus sounds like it’s perfect for you, here are some places to look!

1. Newbury Street

Lined with shops and restaurants, Newbury is the perfect place to look for some retail or waitressing experience!

2. Local Gyms and Movie Theatres

Gyms and movie theatres are always looking for people to work odd hours for them! Gyms need young, energetic people to tap IDs and work smoothie stands. Movie theatres need people to work the concession stand, rip ticket stubs, and clean up the place.

3. Fast Food Restaurants

Fast food restaurants are the perfect place to look for jobs working a register or serving food! If you’re interested in the restaurant business but aren’t sure where to start, here’s a great place to begin.

4. Elementary Schools or Places of Worship

Talk to your friends. If you’re looking for odd jobs or babysitting, talk to your friends, your family, the local elementary schools, and churches or other places of worship. You’ll be amazed by how many people could use your help!

Sarah Marcantonio is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. Sarah hopes to pursue a career writing in someway-- taking any job she can take. Her ultimate goal is to write for a bridal magazine. Born and raised in New Jersey, Sarah hopes to return to New York after graduation. She likes to write about feminism, Boston, current events at Emerson College, and pop culture. 
Emerson contributor