Our Guide to Taking Full Advantage of This Year’s Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The day after Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year. It’s basically a shopping holiday, and I really can’t resist a good sale. But how does one choose which sales are the best and most worth pushing through crowds of Black Friday shoppers? Here are some tips and tricks to get the most out of Black Friday!

1. Stick to what you really need (or at least try).

It’s hard to not be awe-struck by some of the deals we see on this glorious day of sales. 50% off?? 300% off???? HOW can we possibly stop ourselves from buying something with such a huge mark down? Well, do your best to resist the urge because though you may need a new sweater, you don’t need sparkly platform boots. No matter how cheap they may be. People end up spending a lot more than they intend to on Black Friday; don’t get caught in that trap!

2. Research Deals Ahead of Time

Don’t waste your time at stores with lackluster deals. A quick search of “Black Friday 2014” comes up with dozens of planned sales, and you can decide which stores you want to hit up before you even leave your house. No use wading through crowds for a measly ‘15% off’ sale!

3. Be Wary of Mark-ups

Another benefit of buying only what you need is that you’re more likely to recognize when a product has been marked up only to be discounted back to its original price. That $50 top you’ve had your eye on? Set a price in your head that you’d be willing to pay ahead of time, and if there’s no real discount, wait.

4. Have Fun!

Shopping should always be fun. If you’re getting stressed out or discouraged, take a break and get something to eat with your shopping companion. Black Friday may be the major leagues when it comes to shopping, but if you’re not enjoying yourself then it’s not worth it. If you’re discouraged because you haven’t been able to find anything for yourself, start buying your Christmas gifts; that way you still get to partake in this once a year occasion. And don’t forget, there’s always Cyber Monday!

Currently a sophomore film production student at Emerson College!
Emerson contributor