Life > Experiences

Organization Spotlight: Films From the Margin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In an effort to connect with the Emerson community more directly, we are taking our articles into the organizations that are so loved by the students at Emerson. These organizations work year-round to benefit the community in a number of different ways, and we at Her Campus at Emerson want to recognize the hard-work and dedication that go into running each and everyone one of them. In this article, we will be featuring Films From The Margin (FFTM), an organization dedicated to screenings. The organization screens and discusses films and filmmakers that are not typically viewed or talked about by the general public. They focus primarily on foreign, experimental, and rare films. 

The organization’s executive board is made up of four VMA students. Max, the president, is a second year student who has a concentration in experimental film and children’s media. Paul, Delta, and Micah, the three other executive board members all with the title of advisors, are respectively a first year VMA, a second year VMA (thinking of concentrating in editing), and a first year VMA with a concentration in exhibition and business.

The organization has weekly screenings on Wednesdays starting at 6 p.m., and in addition to the weekly screenings, they also host 35 MM screenings in the Bright Family Screening Room for free throughout the semester. They are looking forward to these events specifically for this semester, since the 35 MM screenings are especially fun for them to put on. One of their most noteworthy events was their screening of Ikiru on 35 MM, which is one of the organization’s— and President Max’s—favorite films.

In addition to their events, FFTM is really looking to introduce people to new filmmakers and new cinema from around the world. These films fall just outside of what the History of Media Arts covers, so it is exciting for FFTM to be able to deepen the understanding of these films for students looking to further their film exposure and knowledge. 

Films From The Margin offers most, if not all, of their screenings for free, all you need to do is make sure that you are on their email chain to receive the information regarding these screenings. In order to learn more or get involved, you can shoot them an email at filmsfromthemargin.ec@gmail.com

Finally, we asked Max to describe Films From The Margin in three words. Max replied, “Wild, Fast, Nonchalant. That is what we are. We are a laid back club that just screens odd films and wants to discuss them, nothing more and nothing less. Also a little pretentious, that’s why I chose nonchalant.” 

If you are looking to follow Films From The Margin online, you can find them here: 

Bonus Questions: 

TS: If you could describe your club with one movie or TV show, what would you pick and why? 

MB: Twin Peaks, first it’s THE odd filmbro show. It’s David Lynch, so there’s that, and we are a mysterious and spontaneous club. Like the titular quiet inhabitants of the small Pacific Northwest Town, you never know what will happen, every meeting is something different.  

TS: If your organization could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

MB: A chameleon, for most of the semester we just kind of blend into our surroundings. But every once in a while, we come out with some crazy colors that make us stand out and get us known throughout the ecosystem.

TS: Is your organization more cat people or dog people?

MB: FFTM is split. Delta and I are cat people, Micah is a dog person and Paul is indifferent.   

*All images provided by Films From The Margin*

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.