This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In an effort to connect with the Emerson community more directly, we are taking our articles into the organizations that are so loved by the students at Emerson. These organizations work year-round to benefit the community in a number of different ways, and we at Her Campus at Emerson want to recognize the hard-work and dedication that go into running each and every one of them. In this article, we will be featuring Emertainment Monthly, an online magazine and blog. The organization prides itself on being a platform for students to share their thoughts and ideas on a variety of different topics. The organization was founded back in 2014 and is currently about 40 members strong.

The organization is headed by a rather large executive board—totalling 12 of their 40 members. Their executive board is made up of the following members: 

• Thea Belak, Co-President, BCE, Fall 2020

• Chris Gordon, Co-President, Marketing Major 2021

• Ojasvani Dahiya, Treasurer, VMA Major, 2021

• Sophie Polonsky, Secretary, VMA, 2022

• Angela Pignatello (aka. Red): Head Copy Editor, WLP, 2020

• Pixie Kolesa: Graphic Designer, VMA Major, 2021

• Victoria Stuewe, Movie Section Editor, IDIP Entertainment Journalism, 2020

• Skyler Johnson, Comic Book Section Editor, WLP, 2021

• Alessandre Guarneri, Music Section Editor, WLP, 2020

• Jamie Molar, Book Section Editor, WLP, 2021

• Kathryn Redefer, Book Section Editor, WLP, 2021

• Casey Duby, TV Section Editor, VMA, 2021

Emertainment Monthly has quite a few goals for this semester. The organization is really looking forward to hosting events in the future, since that have not been able to do this as much as they would have liked in the past. They plan on gearing their events to social gatherings for members; since most of the organization’s work is done online, they really want to work toward bringing members together for mingling and networking. They are also looking forward to re-launching their website with a whole new design. They also plan on re-doing their logo and creating t-shirts to give out to their members. Co-president Thea Belak also mentioned that “[we are] still very much in the groundwork of our org since it went dormant last spring. Since the summer of 2019, [the executive board] members have been working to get the org back up and heading in the direction of having a consistent, article posting schedule. Once we get that under wraps, expanding our membership and sending more students out to cover events happening around Boston will be the next few steps.”

Emertainment Monthly is a group of extremely driven, passionate members, and they are looking to bring in more students who resonate with these values. They are “open to any and all that have even the slightest bit of interest in writing and have thoughts about various mediums of entertainment,” in the words of co-president Thea Belak.  Thea continued by explaining that Emertainment Monthly’s goal is to use their “platform to provide a space for students to share their thoughts and ideas with others when they might not be able to do so with the people in their immediate social circle. Emertainment is meant to provide both a website where people can go and engage with the thoughts of our writers as well as a place that writers can fully flesh out their thoughts and ideas about pieces of mediums they have seen.” If you are looking to keep up with Emertainment Monthly, and want to get involved, you can email Thea at thea_belak@emerson.edu, especially if you’re interested in applying for a specific section or role in the organization. Also, you can find them on their website, or on emconnect

Finally, we asked the team at Emertainment Monthly to describe their team in three words. Thea responded: “Always pushing forward. Since the org went dormant last spring various members of Emertainment have given so much into helping relaunch the org. From spreading the word to both past and potential members. Advertising the org to their friends, even some on the whiteboard to their room. It’s been incredible to see so many members go above and beyond the roles they were given to help get Emertainment back on the road to where it was before it went inactive.” 

Bonus Questions: 

TS: What Hogwarts house does your org most identify with? 

Emertainment Monthly: It would be a mix between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. 

TS: If you could describe your club with one movie or TV show, what would you pick and why? 

EM: It’s a mad, mad, mad, mad world. Because while it can feel a bit like chaos at points, we’re fortunate enough to be stacked with an abundance of talent. 

TS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people? 

EM: Dog people

*All photos provided by Emertainment Monthly*

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.