Emerson Green Collective Logo
Emerson Green Collective Logo
Emerson Green Collective
Life > Experiences

Organization Spotlight: Emerson Green Collective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In an effort to connect with the Emerson community more directly, we are taking our articles into the organizations that are so loved by the students at Emerson. These organizations work year-round to benefit the community in a number of different ways, and we at Her Campus at Emerson want to recognize the hard-work and dedication that go into running each and every one of them. In this article, we will be featuring the Emerson Green Collective (EGC). 

The Emerson Green Collective is a three-part group dedicated to saving the Earth! The club is made up of Bee Enthusiasts at Emerson (BEE), Vegan Emerson Group (VEG), and Green Magazine. Originally, the four founders started the club to focus on the Bee Enthusiasts at Emerson, but after one semester, decided to broaden their focus to include many more topics regarding the environment. Though the club is relatively small, members can contribute art, writing, photography to Green Magazine, which is Emerson’s only environmental publication on campus. The magazine also prints using recycled paper and soy ink to uphold their dedication to sustainability. 

On their executive board are co-presidents Ben French (VMA Major 2021), and Gianna Gironda (WLP Major 2020 publishing concentration). Gianna is also the managing editor for Green Magazine under the collective. Acting as the organization’s financial director is Business of Creative Enterprises Major (Class of 2021), Talia Aiges. Talia also has a concentration in music. Heading up the BEE sector of the organization is Hannah Davis, a VMA major graduating in 2022.  Johanna Stiefler Johnson(WLP 2020) is the Chair of VEG, and finally, John Corredor (WLP 2021) is the editor-in-chief for Green Magazine.

Over their lifetime as an organization (which, according to the club has been relatively short), they have been able to run some campus events. They organized some nature hikes to help build community among their members. More specifically, VEG hosted a screening of “Dominion,” which is a movie that highlights modern animal abuse and animal rights. Their biggest event, however, comes out of Green Magazine, since at the end of each semester they hold a launch event! Each issue of the magazine has a different theme relating to the environment, and members of the organization are encouraged to submit their photography, writing, and art as contributors!

Emerson Green Collective Team Members
Samara DeBruyn // Emerson Green Collective
Moving forward this semester, the Emerson Green Collective is really looking forward to strengthening their community and the different subsections of the organization. They want to be sure to focus on the establishment of new leadership roles and hope that the club has a chance to grow this semester. Most importantly though, they want to make sure they maintain their dedication to appreciating and respecting the planet that we all call home: Earth! One way that they plan on doing this is by helping to support the Emerson community in their recycling and trash disposal efforts. Even though it seems small, their bigger picture goal here is to help the Emerson community practice more sustainable habits. 

In reflecting on their organization, EGC talked to us about their favorite time in the club. This brought them back to the printing of the first issue of Green Magazine, which happened before the EGC officially changed their name to reflect the different components of their club. Financial Director Talia Aiges explained that “[EGC was] still Bee Enthusiasts at Emerson, and our first issue was a playbill-sized magazine with beautiful, colorful art that was done by the main art contributor to our mag, Masha Garin. Holding the physical representation of our work was a beautiful feeling to new college students. We created something and we were proud.”

Finally, we asked the Emerson Green Collective what three words they would choose to describe themselves, to which, they answered: “Sustainability, Environmentalism, Student Activism.” If you are looking to learn more about the organization, please feel free to contact either of the Co-presidents (Gianna_Gironda@emerson.edu or Benjamin_French@emerson.edu) or the collective’s financial director (Talia_aiges@emerson.edu). You can also locate the Emerson Green Collective on emconnect, and their social media channels:  Facebook (@Emgreencollective), Instagram (@Emgreencollective), and Twitter (@Emgreencollect). 

Bonus Questions: 

Talia Santopadre: What Hogwarts house does your organization most identify with? 

Talia Aiges: Hufflepuff!

TS: If you could describe your club with one movie or TV show, what would you pick and why? 

TA: 21 Jump Street because everyone in our organization is like this Dave Franco line:

“You don’t care about the environment? That’s fucked up, man!”

TS: If your org could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

TA: BEE!! Bees are so important in the fight to save nature as they are responsible for pollinating the plants that give us most of our produce. …We are also cute like bees. 

TS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people?

TA: We are more dog people than cat people, but how can one really choose? We want to be smothered by both.

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.