An Open Letter To My Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dear Mom,

You are a beautiful person both inside and out. You are tenacious, caring, thoughtful, and always have my best interests in mind.

Your lifelong support for me is incredibly meaningful, and without it, I would not be the person I am today. Raising a creative, active child was not an easy task, but you did so with incredible grace. Of course no one is perfect, and we may not always agree, but I cannot imagine my life with anyone else as my mother.

You are dedicated to all you do, from taking care of me all of my life to decorating for Christmas. You have always looked out for me and even though I don’t live at home now, you still have my best interests in mind. Without your commitment and devotion as a mother, I would not be the knowledgeable, healthy young woman I am today, and I am indebted to you and all that you have done for me. As for your decorating, the “most wonderful time of the year” simply wouldn’t be that wonderful. With your lights, ornaments, faux evergreen garland and ribbons, you transform the house into a magical world straight out of a holiday movie. I have incredibly fond memories from my childhood of this time of year, and they are all enhanced immensely by your love for the season and your passion for adorning the house.

Our relationship is truly unique; it is not only that of a mother and a daughter, but it is also in some ways a friendship, and in other ways something that cannot merely be described with words. Our arguments are few and our inside jokes are plenty; I feel close to you even when I am far away.

Thank you for your trust and for always supporting my endeavors both in and outside of school. You always told me to go back and meet with teachers if I did not understand a lesson. And thanks for letting me spend time away from home in the summer; I know this must have been difficult for you. I gained valuable experiences by spending time away from home, and I am not so sure I would have adapted to college so easily without that. I am also sure it was difficult for you to see me leave for college, being your youngest daughter, but you handled it beautifully––you always do.

While I’m at school, your texts always make me smile. I feel close to you even though you are miles away. Even though you may miss me, please always remember that our love is unbreakable, and defies both distance and time.

Love you.

Charlotty Herman is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She was an editor on her high school's yearbook staff and over the summer, she had an internship with the Reboot Fellows. As well as journalism, she is passionate about the Spanish language, which she has been taking for seven years now. She loves Boston, and when not in class, she enjoys creative writing, fashion, and drinking coffee.
Emerson contributor