This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Nothing compares to the music of one’s childhood, as with each song comes reminiscences of a certain time or moment. In the weeks before heading off to college, I found myself in a nostalgic mood as I rapidly consumed the various “throwback” tracks that defined the fleeting span of my childhood. Moreover, I began to reflect on the questionable pop music that represented my middle and high school years. The 2000s saw the emergence of pop superstars like Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Alicia Keys, and Amy Winehouse. Most importantly, what rose on the charts was an eclectic hodgepodge of genres and influences. Unfortunately, or so it seems, the days of the glittering, pop divas that belted out carefully crafted lyrics and generated catchy beats are over. 

However, the songs that wind up on today’s charts are generic. Though the songs overplayed on the radio did not always sound identical and were wide-ranging in their sound. The expanse of music now feels repetitive and all the more simplistic and one-dimensional. I actively check the charts on Spotify to see what is all the rage to listen to, though I find myself disappointed and cease to listen. The songs that make it in the top five feel like a downgrade or like a cheapened version of what mainstream pop once was. 

The music of my childhood was also vivacious and with higher danceability. Growing up with bangers like “Hollaback Girl” or “Crazy in Love” may have predisposed me to have higher expectations of current pop hits. Regardless, The music released in the period between 2010 and 2020 felt particularly lackluster, a couple of vocalists who began in the preceding decade and stole the hearts of many carried their significance into the 2010s. The question on my mind is whether or not there will be a revival of the upbeat in authentic music of the 2000s with the help of these artists after an unsatisfactory decade. 

I feel that it is essential to discuss Taylor Swift, who was recently named “Artist of the Decade” at the American Music awards after putting on a dazzling medley of her 2000s and 2010s hits. As an artist, Swift was influential for the latter half of the 2000s and exploded into the mainstream after her conversion from her country roots. The transformation led to Swift ruling 2014 to 2015 pop with her hit-filled album 1989. Although mainstream pop music has evolved and reshaped itself overtime, Swift’s devotion to songwriting stayed. The songs she puts out reflect her originality in that she writes them based upon her life experiences. This aspect of her artistry has gained equal recognition and criticism, as people groan that her songs are excessively about love and breaking up. 

Although the pop queen’s sound and image altered, her unique voice within the lyrics remained static. I find that her disclosure and channeling of her emotions into the music is a distinct quality of many singer-songwriters like Natasha Bedingfield that dominated the 2000s era. Although there are successful vocalists who write their songs, the 2000s was the definitive era of the pop singer-songwriter. Swift stands as one of a few notable pop singers who weave a compelling story into the lyrics.  

Ariana Grande is another powerhouse vocalist who has gained popularity with young adults who grew up with her on the hit Nickelodeon show Victorious. A more gradual transformation, Grande grew into her own and established her unique sound. Her remarkable ability to hit high notes, sweet persona, and one-of-a-kind fashion sense stand out in the bunch. Her earlier music embodied a more bubblegum pop style, but later her music morphed into a derivative of R&B influences after “Sweetener” and “Thank u, Next.”Both albums combine elements of her 2000s and even 1990s pop predecessors and popular soul and hip-hop infused sounds. Grande has formed her style, but it may become repetitive like many artists’ styles today. 

The Ariana Grande situation proves that there is a surplus of talented singers, though the content does not match the power of their voice or musical abilities. There has yet to be a pop artist to release a monumental album that turns the course of mainstream pop. To stand out, or better yet, to have a lasting impact beyond mainstream music, there needs to be a clear variety in the bunch. 

If these established artists cannot guide pop music into a new era, the feat may lie in the hands of rising artists. The vocalist Lizzo recently put out an inspiring album “Cuz I love You” that not only empowers but showcases her as a promising artist that may shine in the next decade. A prime example of a promising artist is singer and rapper Doja Cat who almost seems to shapeshift in every track. Doja recently released the album “Hot Pink” which epitomizes the idea of the well-rounded artist and demonstrates her versatility, with each track continuing to surprise. Despite that, Doja Cat, among others, has made strides to distinguish themselves as artists either inadvertently or purposefully— will this be a trend? 

It would be ambitious for me to claim that pop music is dead as is rock and that the 2000s comprised the last remaining years of it. I can express, however, that despite that, the end of the ’10s brought forth many talented artists; the next few years will see if they have a lasting impact. This article intended to be an ode to the old pop music I loved, though my thoughts wandered to the current state of mainstream music, and the outlook of a new decade. I look forward to seeing how the mainstream pop genre evolves, and hope for a more multifarious trend. Even though I do listen to many artists of the moment, a plethora of music streaming services are at my fingertips, so I can at least indulge in the 2000s pop that I grew up jamming to in the meantime.

I'm a freshman Writing, Literature & Publishing major at Emerson College. I love reading, music, and dogs!
Emerson contributor