This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Alexander Wang

Alexander Wang is known for his simple aesthetic, and this season he took it to a new level with his color palette, sticking to mostly black and white throughout his collection. His use of sheer cutout stripes on leather skirts, dresses, jackets, and shorts gave it a twist on an otherwise classic look. His update to the gladiator sandal and boot also marked a trend in this season, as they were also seen in other designers’ shows as well.

Calvin Klein

Another designer who took the simple idea of black and white to heart was Francisco Costa at Calvin Klein, though his aesthetic this time around was not necessarily simple in its design. There was a tangible influence of the pin up era, with exaggerated waists and hourglass figures. The design house killed it, once again, showing that they can bring modernity to classics, and producing designs that will be relevant not only in the upcoming season, but also for many years to come.

Jason Wu

Jason Wu has mastered the idea of a dark and mysterious seductress. And with his red lips, long, fishnet gloves, and use of leather in his spring 2013 collection, he has obviously done it again. His main inspiration for this collection was the work of Helmut Newton, which you can imagine would add a sex appeal to it right away. This came through with a perfect balance between classic and sexy, not going too over the top in any way. His use of harnesses was tasteful and edgy, pairing them with unexpectedly pretty colors and dresses. And though his daywear was outstanding as always, it was his eveningwear that was out of this world. He somehow managed to make chiffon fresh and unique, while also creating a dream out of his silhouettes.

3.1 Phillip Lim

If there was one collection that clogged up every social media fashion outlet, it had to be 3.1 Phillip Lim. Though he has been getting progressively bigger and bigger in the fashion scene and among socialites and bloggers, this collection seemed to be his right of passage. His combination of florals, graphics, and plaids gave the whole show a 90’s aesthetic that everyone seemed to be itching for after the Spice Girls reunion at the closing ceremony. He was obviously referencing women rockers, as he even named his shoes Courtney, PJ, and Shirley, and to say the least, it worked. He managed to bring all the best of 90’s grunge into modern era, minus the grunge and plus a completely indescribable sophistication that people will be talking about for a very long time.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.