sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not-So-Spooky Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Halloween is fast-approaching and the air is growing crisp. It’s the perfect season for cozying up with a blanket, some popcorn and a spooky movie. If horror isn’t your thing, have no fear! Here are 8 festive movies you can watch this Halloween season.

1. Halloweentown

A Disney Channel favorite, this movie is whimsical and family-friendly. The trilogy is perfect for a one night mini-marathon with friends.

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Perhaps Tim Burton’s most treasured animated movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas is just eerie enough to get you in the Halloween spirit without actually giving you nightmares. Bonus: it’s a great watch anytime between now and Christmas!

3. Hocus Pocus

One of the most beloved Halloween movies of all time, Hocus Pocus is a quotable classic. After watching the film, take a train over to Salem to tour the place that inspired it!

4. Harry Potter

While not exclusively a Halloween series, the Harry Potter films have some truly amazing Halloween scenes, featuring floating jack-o-lanterns and great feasts. With eight movies to watch, you’ll have plenty of entertainment this October.  

5. Beetlejuice

Shhh! Don’t say his name! This movie features plenty of ghosts and ghouls, but is silly enough to remain light-hearted.

6. The Book of Life

A newer movie celebrating the Mexican holiday “Dia de Muertos,” (a celebration that coincides with and relates closely to Halloween), The Book of Life is a truly well-written and animated film that subtly explains tradition with fantastical flair.

7. Corpse Bride

While a title that has inspired many horrific costumes may seem alarming, this film has a heartwarming take on love in the afterlife (plus it features the adorable skeleton dog, Scraps).

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor