New York Fashion Week’s Top 5 Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Now that America’s most exciting week of fashion has come to a close, it’s time to take a moment and reflect on the latest trends set by the biggest designers in the business. Heads were spinning with all the diversity of this season’s collections, but here are some of the most notable trends from New York Fashion Week and ways that you can wear them, too!

White-on-White:

All-white outfits made a huge appearance on the runways this fall. A huge number of major designers presented sleek, head-to-toe looks by pairing pure-white separates or structured white dresses.  

Inspired by: Badgley Mischka, Christian Siriano, Derek Lam

How to Make it Yours: Find bright, white pieces in varying fabrics that you can pair with each other. Look for white sweaters, flowing white tops, white trouser pants, and white skirts. Add a white jacket to complete the look or add bright accessories to make an extra statement. If this trend scares you, add black into the mix to tone it tone, but still make still make a monochromatic impact.

Colored Stripes:

In place of last seasons widespread black and white stripe trend, this season is fixed on bright, bold lines. A surprising new style, the stripes were popular on dresses and designers were creative with the direction of the lines. This year’s runways have seen stripes like we’ve never seen them before.

Inspired by: Cynthia Rowley, Jeremy Scott, Tanya Taylor

How to Make it Yours: Look for striped pieces that are full of color and are unique in their design. Make the trend modern by finding stripes that are not just horizontal or vertical, look for diagonals or mixtures of all three! Make a huge statement with a full-striped dress or wear separates for a subtler look. Pair your stripes with jeans or a skirt and don’t be afraid to mix patterns!

Bold Prints:

Printed garments were a huge hit with designers this year. Showing up in dresses, coats, skirts, and tops models were rocking  the season’s boldest trend. Most popular were nature inspired themes, like huge florals, a new, marble inspired print, and tribal and Safari influenced pieces.

Inspired by: Phillip Lim, Oswald Helgason, Suno

How to Make it Yours: Look for bold patterns that stand out and try to keep the rest of the outfit simple. You want your carefully chosen print to stand out! Mix it up by adding prints to your skirts, dresses, and even pants.  

(Rachel Comey)

Bare Midriff:

Cropped tops, bandeaus, and bralettes littered the runways in New York this September. Many were crafted in bright colors and prints and worn with high waisted skirts, shorts, or pants. Start those ab workouts now, because full stomach baring is officially in this upcoming Spring.

Inspired by: BCBG, Alexander Wang, Jill Stuart

How to Make it Yours: Pair a tight cropped top with a cute pair of looser pants or flowy, patterned skirt to make this look complete. Add a full-length cardigan or blazer for a modern spin and extra coverage.

Bright Yellow Bags:

Scores of models were decked out in colorful accessories, but the bright yellow bag showed up in several collections throughout the week. As a fun pop of color, the yellow bag can tie an entire outfit together or be a great statement piece.

Inspired by: Kate Spade, Rebecca Minkoff, Reed Krakoff

How to Make it Yours: Find a bag in a yellow hue that you’re in love with and pair it with everything. Matching is not necessary here! Try to keep the bag’s details simple and stray away from crazy textures and decals, the yellow is enough! If the bright trend makes you nervous, tone it down a little with a paler yellow.

(Kate Spade)

http://stylecaster.com/spring-2014-trends/

Hey guys! I'm Hayley and I'm a sophomore here at Emerson. I'm a WLP major, so I love all things reading and writing. Someday I want to work in big publishing house, like Random House, editing books and working with big time authors. My favorite things to write about are fashion, television, and how to live it up in the city!
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop