Netflix, We Love You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I could once confidently say to my friends, “Name your top three favorite movies and I bet I haven’t seen them.” All I knew about Casablanca was the line, “Here’s looking at you, kid.” And while I’ve always loved Audrey Hepburn, I had never watched  Breakfast at Tiffany’s. But then Netflix entered my life, and I found myself thrown into this obsessive, enchanting relationship of instant gratification and old fashioned, time-honored love. Suddenly, I could schmooze my way through dinner parties. Suddenly, my friends weren’t giving me horrified looks.

Netflix, I love you, and I’m not alone. The Her Campus Emerson staff loves you as well. Here’s why:

“I love, love, love Netflix Instant Watch! Weeds marathons are my favorite Netflix pastime, especially when it’s too cold to go outside. I also love the silly romantic comedies, because I wouldn’t necessarily pay to watch them in theaters, but they make for the perfect guilty pleasure. I’ve also recently discovered some good finds in the Netflix documentary section. Exit Through the Gift Shop currently holds the number one spot in my queue, and I can’t wait to watch it.”

– Nikki Fig, 2011

“I haven’t had cable for two years, so Netflix and Hulu have been my go-tos for TV and movies. Once I start watching a show, I basically need to clear out a couple of weeks of work so I can finish all of its seasons in their entirety. That was 30 Rock for me. I’m also a sucker for watching the kids movies on Netflix while I’m doing my homework. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? I’m there!”
– Shana Wickett, 2011  

“I love my Netflix account and use it to watch new documentaries, and of course the original series of Skins. I’ve also discovered cool shows that have gone off the air, like  Studio 60. I, honestly, don’t know how I’d get to sleep at night without my Netflix.”
– Emily Dyess, 2012

“My favorite movie on Netflix is Kramer vs. Kramer. It’s not necessarily what you’d call a ‘feel good’ movie, but it’s one I watched with my a dad a lot growing up. It has a strong element of nostalgia for me.”
– Michelle King, 2013

WEEDS, WEEDS, WEEDS. If I could write a show half as fantastic as Weeds, I’d be set. Five out of the six seasons are even currently streaming on Netflix.”
– Lorena Mora, 2012

“The Netflix instant play feature is undeniably one of the best inventions ever. Lately, I’ve been feeling nostalgic, so at the top of my queue is every Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen movie ranging from Billboard Dad  to Winning London. I’ve also been watching old television series like Pushing Daisies, a show that, in my opinion, was a casualty of the writer’s strike. For anybody that hasn’t heard of the show or seen it, I strongly recommend watching it. And for those who have watched it already, watch it again. It has a great re-watch value.”
– Corey Catanese, 2014

If you aren’t currently a Netflix subscriber, you can sign up for a free one-month trial period. Just click here for more information.

Photo Sources: http://bit.ly/evZaxL, http://bit.ly/g8QgaS

Nikki Fig is a Broadcast Journalism major at Emerson College. She writes, produces and reports for shows on several Emerson television stations and is a web writer for Emerson's lifestyle publication, Em Mag. She is also the Philanthropy Chair of Alpha Epsilon Phi and recently returned from a study abroad program in Israel. Nikki is graduating in May and plans to move back to New York City. She wants to pursue a career in journalism that will enable her to combine her love of fashion, travel and culture.