Need A Distraction? Visit Our Favorite Blogs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Most of us here at Her Campus Emerson spend plenty of time looking at words, and some of the best ones come from one of our favorite distractions: blogs. Check out our eclectic selections, and suggest one of your own in a comment or tweet at @HCEmerson!

“When it comes to blogs, my personal favorites are blog aggregate sites that help me discover new alternative music. We Are Hunted and The Hype Machine are two that have led me to some of my favorite bands. They let you listen to entire songs and give you the option to purchase them from iTunes, Amazon.com, etc. The sites are also connected to Twitter and Facebook, so I can easily share the music I’m listening to with friends.”
Emily Dyess // Junior // Communication Studies

“As a self-proclaimed ‘dessert-a-holic,’ I thought I knew everything about the New York City dessert scene. Then I discovered Just Desserts NYC, a fun blog that exposes all of the sweet culinary delights that NYC and other cities around the country have to offer. The authors, ‘Brownie’ and ‘Blondie,’ also post really fun videos, and they’re so fit and fashionable that you can eat their dessert recommendations without feeling guilty!”
Nikki Fig // Senior // Broadcast Journalism

“I can’t even begin to say how obsessed I am with Oh No They Didn’t. It’s a culmination of entertainment news from various sources, but my favorite part is always the comments section and commentary added to articles. ONTD members are both ridiculously clique-y and hilarious with their running jokes, heavy use of .gifs (animated pictures) to express their feelings, ridiculous abbreviations like s&c (‘shaking and crying,’ meaning you’re ecstatic), and various (sometimes awful) nicknames for well-known celebrities. ONTD also ‘dates’ certain celebrities—usually hot actors who are popular for their recent movies. (Joseph Gordon-Levitt was HUGE around the release of ‘Inception.’) I guess ONTD’s craziness stems from the LiveJournal community, but I enjoy it. I, for one, will never forget ‘our’ break-up with True Blood star Alexander Skarsgard.”
Lorena Mora // Junior // Writing for Film & TV

“Thanks to Google’s autofill setting, I don’t have to remember the exact number of Os to include in the URL when I’m trying to get to this amazingly inspiring blog, Booooooom.  With a plethora of new art, design and innovation posts, this blog keeps me in the know about the serious progress being made in the art world.”
Larissa Green // Senior // Writing, Literature & Publishing

“I only started visiting this blog when I recently stumbled upon a link to it on Twitter, but it’s pretty much a typography nerd’s dream. Daily Drop Cap is entirely devoted to initial caps with a lot of flair and features posts from guest designers. I like to search the tags, like ‘Badass,’ for inspiration.”
Shana Wickett // Senior // Print & Multimedia Journalism

Shana Wickett is a senior Print & Multimedia Journalism major at Emerson College with minors in Leadership & Management and Publishing. She is co-web director for Emerson's lifestyle magazine and a social media intern at Children's Hospital Boston. She previously was a city desk co-op at The Boston Globe and a news intern at The New Haven Register and Hersam Acorn Newspapers in Connecticut. She enjoys drinking too many macchiatos, singing loudly when no one's listening, dancing whenever possible, and learning how to cook a mean tomato sauce (slowly but surely). After graduating in May, Shana would love to manage and write web content for a company in Massachusetts or Connecticut, where her family lives.