This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I first learned about relationships and romance through my favorite T.V. shows. They showed me what it was like to fall in love at the moment you least expected. They taught me how to navigate a relationship with someone through the good and the bad. While certainly dramatized and far from reality, they gave me hope until I found my own happy ending. If you’ve managed to snatch an S.O. in time for the spooky season, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of my favorite ideas for cute T.V. show couples costumes this Halloween.

Santana and Brittany, Glee

Glee was one of my favorite shows as a young adult, and I especially loved Santana and Brittany. They start off as best friends until they realize they have romantic feelings for each other. Santana slowly  understands her sexuality, especially with the pain of her grandma’s disapproval. They eventually become a couple and even get married by the end of the show. I will never forget when they sing Landslide by Fleetwood Mac together as Santana’s way of expressing her feelings to Brittany. I think it would be cute to wear the McKinley High School cheer uniforms for this costume since they are both on the cheerleading team.

Luke and Lorelai, Gilmore Girls

Luke and Lorelai are one of my favorite T.V. show couples. They have been just friends for years, and you see their love develop throughout that time. As a fan, it was painful seeing Luke’s face whenever he looked at Lorelai; he only seemed to realize his feelings when she was with someone else. It feels like forever waiting for them to finally get together, but when they do, it’s absolutely adorable. You can create Luke’s costume with a simple blue baseball cap (like the one she gives him) and a flannel. Lorelai can be achieved with an early-2000s inspired outfit like a floral dress and a small cardigan. 

Adam and Eric, Sex Education

There’s nothing hotter than a romance born out of pure hatred. Adam begins as Eric’s bully and ends as his lover. Eric teaches Adam to be a kinder person and accept himself for who he is. I love Adam’s growth throughout their relationship and how it transfers to his school life. He takes the fall for a classmate about to get in trouble and starts to care more about schoolwork, which he hadn’t done before. Their relationship sadly ends when Eric cheats on Adam, but it is really sweet for the time it lasts. They truly love each other and learn valuable lessons while they are together. Eric’s costume should involve bright colors and contrasting patterns, and Adam’s should be a brown suede jacket with a hoodie or t-shirt.  

All of the couples in New Girl

New Girl is my absolute favorite T.V. show, and of course, I love all of the couples. I identify myself and my partner with Cece and Schmidt, but I also love Nick with Jess and Aly with Winston. I love how Cece and Schmidt started as a casual hookup where they both weren’t really “relationship people,” but it evolved into a beautiful romance. My favorite part of their story is when they settled down in their own home with their very comedic and loveable daughter, Ruth. I love seeing them continue to grow together and become great co-parents. 

Nick and Jess were perfect for each other from the moment Jess walked into the boys’ apartment. They both have their unique quirks—from Jess repeatedly watching Dirty Dancing after every breakup to Nick fist-pumping every time he hears the song, “Cotton-Eyed Joe.” Their weirdness together makes them arguably one of the best T.V. couples out there. Winston and Aly start as police partners and end as partners in life. I love how Aly was worried Winston would fall in love with her, but eventually, she fell for him too. 

For Schmidt, you can wear a suit or any professional clothing (or his iconic “See Cece Run” t-shirt). You can wear a black dress and heels for Cece. As Jess, you could wear something bright and fun like a school teacher—polka dots, stripes, bright colors, and cardigans. Nick should wear jeans and a flannel or henley. Winston should absolutely wear a button-up bird shirt, and Aly should wear a flowery blouse or dress. 

I hope these ideas give you a little bit of inspiration for your own costume with your partner. You can also find your favorite T.V. show and pick a couple that inspires you or reminds you of your relationship. Find something that speaks to you, and go for it!

Maddie Browning is a senior journalism major with environmental studies and publishing minors at Emerson College. She is a freelance writer for the Living and Arts sections at The Boston Globe. Browning covers music, comedy, books, travel, romance, and fashion.