This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The 2021 Grammys are just around the corner. The ceremony will be held this Sunday, March 14th, and can be viewed on CBS or Paramount+. As an avid award show watcher, I thought I would give my predictions on this year’s Grammys winners.

women in front of led lights
Photo by Spencer Imbrock from Unslpash

Record of the Year

I’m at a crossroads here. Billie Eilish’s “everything i wanted” has garnered lots of attention. The song was produced by her brother Finneas O’Connell, and Eilish even directed the music video for the song. However, she is up against Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage,” featuring and produced by none other than Beyoncé. Megan Thee Stallion is one of this past year’s breakout stars, also gathering a nomination for Best New Artist of the Year. Eilish also swept last year’s Grammys, so I think the race is close in this category.

Album of the Year

I’m going to be very surprised if Taylor Swift’s folklore does not take this award home. The album has become the biggest album of 2020, according to Rolling Stone. It is also arguably Swift’s best album to date. Some of the other albums in this category include Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia, HAIM’s Women In Music Pt. III, and Post Malone’s Hollywood’s Bleeding. However, none of these other albums have become such cultural phenomenons as Swift’s folklore.

Song of the Year

Swift’s “cardigan” is a shoo-in, in my opinion. Similar to my reasoning for Album of the Year, none of the other songs compare to Swift’s “cardigan.” As a huge Swiftie, I am bias, but it’s hard to deny, considering how huge “cardigan” and folklore have become.

Best New Artist

This one might be another close race… This category is most likely between Megan Thee Stallion and Phoebe Bridgers. Both have gained almost cult-like followings this past year and released extremely impressive albums. As a self-proclaimed “pharb,” I am inclined to Bridgers winning this category, but I’d be happy to see Megan Thee Stallion win as well.

Best Pop Vocal Album

I think Justin Beiber’s Changes can be eliminated from winning this category compared to its competitors. The rest of the category consists of Lady Gaga’s Chromatica, Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia, Harry Styles’ Fine Line, and Swift’s folklore. Again, I think this will most likely go to Swift, but all these albums are amazing.

Best Rock Performance

I’m calling it now: Phoebe Bridgers is going to sweep every category for which she’s nominated. For this category, her album Punisher’s lead single “Kyoto” was nominated. Notably, this category is all female-led. The other nominees are Fiona Apple, Big Thief, HAIM, Brittnay Howard, and Grace Potter. Bridgers’ “Kyoto” was also nominated for Best Rock Song, and I’m guessing she’ll win that too.

Best Alternative Music Album

Brigders’ Punisher is most likely going to win this, and it deserves to. If you haven’t listened to it yet, I highly recommend you do so before Sunday. Again, I have bias as a huge Phoebe Bridgers fan. But, Punisher is truly quite amazing.

Of course, there are many other categories; this barely scratches the surface. This year was filled with so much amazing music, despite the pandemic. I’m excited to see who wins. I will definitely be tuning in on Sunday!  

Seren Cho is a sophomore Media Arts Production major at Emerson College. Having grown up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, Seren is excited to start telling stories in the city of Boston. Be warned: Seren is a nerd through and through, and is most definitely not afraid to show it.
Emerson contributor