Must-See Art Museums and Galleries in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There is a lot of art to be discovered in Bostonia. Yet there is a lack of interest within the students because of the admission prices. Currently Emerson students are able to have free access to the MFA, ICA, and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, as well as other galleries found around the perimeters of Boston. Along with those museums there are many museums that have not yet been discovered. The BSA Space, Museum of Bad Art at the Somerville Theatre, Peabody Essex Museum, the Worcester Art Museum, and the Hard Rock Café Memorabilia are other museums that could be found with exciting exhibits and memorabilia. The BSA Space have two current and upcoming exhibits: Canstruction and City of Mirages, which are both art installations. Museum of Bad Art contains art pieces that celebrate bad art, and is the only bad art museum in the world. The Peabody Essex Museum is found outside of Boston in Salem, Massachusetts. The museum has great exhibits and currently they are showing Hats; Anthology of Stephen Jones exhibit, that contains fun hat designs that have been created and worn by different fashion icons. The Worcester Art Museum currently has an exhibition that contains the most powerful photography from the 1960’s from Kennedy to Kent State. The Hard Rock Café contains memorabilia that is exposed around the café, which is exciting for those interested in the history of music. Some of the best galleries to visit around Boston, that are completely free are, Vose Gallery, Keiko Gallery, Walker Contemporary, Gallery Naga, Beth Urgang Gallery, Barbara Krakow Gallery, and SOWA Artist Guild at 450 Harrison. There are many special exhibits that are must see this fall.

Museum of Fine Arts:

Mario Testino In Your Face; Mario Testino British Royal Portraits – October 21 to February 3

Institute of Contemporary Art:

Os Gemeos – August 1 to November 25 & This Will Have Been: Art, Love & Politics in the 1980s – November 15 to March 3

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.