This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Going into this show I didn’t know what to expect, but I certainly didn’t expect to go on the emotional rollercoaster that this show took me on. Come From Away was absolutely, hands down fantastic, and if you haven’t seen it yet, then you better go buy tickets as soon as you are done reading this. 

For those of you who don’t know, the premise of this show is the day of and the days following the tragic events on September 11, 2001. Based on a true story, the show focuses on a little town in Newfoundland called Gander. When the United States closed its airspace on 9/11, all flights were diverted and grounded at various airports around the world––38 of which ended up in Gander. The morning of 9/11, Gander was a town of about 7,000 people, and once all of the planes had landed, the town had virtually doubled its population. This play documents the stories of the people of Gander and the stories of the people who were on the planes that ended up there. 

This story tells the tale of kindness, documenting how the Newfoundlanders took the passengers into their town and opened their hearts to them. They set up shelters, make food, and show just how far a little help from everyone can go. In the wake of one of the most horrific and deadly attacks on US soil, this show takes the lives of people affected and shows what it was like for the people stranded away from home during the aftermath. 

The show is put on by a cast of 18, as they all change and shift their costumes to play different characters. These shifts are amazing, and although one can feel they may be confusing, they are actually quite seamless. This speaks extremely highly to the talents of all the actors on that stage, and it was absolutely incredible to see. 

Not only was the story amazing, but the soundtrack was as well.  All of the songs were moving in their own ways––from painfully beautiful to energetically uplifting. These songs ranged from funny to serious and back again, and were topped off by incredible performers across the stage. Personally, I think that my favorite from the soundtrack has to be “Welcome To The Rock.” Or maybe “Me And The Sky”? Oh, it’s definitely “In The Bar/Heave Away.” OR maybe it is….you know what…? To be safe, let’s just say that all of them are my favorite. 

Clearly, this is a masterpiece and a must-see. It is truly a feel-good story that keeps its audience captivated from start to end, and I can’t recommend it enough. You’ll forever find me listening to the soundtrack for the rest of my life––and you will too after you see it. 

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.