Meet: Laura Moya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As part of the Her Campus National Sister Chapter Program, our chapter at Emerson was given the opportunity to work with Her Campus Northeastern as our sister chapter!  We are really excited about this partnership, so to celebrate it, we decided to highlight some members of the Her Campus Northeastern team! I conducted an interview with the Campus Correspondent for HC Northeastern, Laura Moya. She is a senior Communications and Media major.  Laura hails from Miami, so she is still trying to get used to the Boston winters. She loves to travel, drink coffee, and she is s huge television/Netflix junkie.  In addition to that, Laura loves to read books, and she’s “a nerd and proud of it.”  Below is the interview and some of the questions that I asked Laura, and the answers that she gave me. So everyone, please meet, Laura Moya:

What made you choose to attend Northeastern?

I always knew that I wanted to leave Miami for college. At the time, I hated Miami and I wanted and needed something different (I have now come to appreciate my home city much more, especially during the winter months). Boston had always seemed like a cool city to me and being a city girl through and through, I thought it would be a great fit for my college years. Northeastern really spoke to me because it seemed like a great school and it still had a campus feel while being in the middle of the city. Also, the co-op program and international experiences that Northeastern offered were a huge draw because I knew I wanted to study abroad at some point in my college career (and I did!)

What made you want to join the Her Campus Northeastern team and how long have you been part of the Her Campus Northeastern team?

I actually heard about Her Campus pretty late into the game in the beginning of my junior year. One of my best friends from high school had joined the chapter at her school in Florida and she told me I should check to see if my school had a chapter as well. Lo and behold, Northeastern did have a chapter and I have been a member ever since, so that makes it 2 years now. I have been a writer, an editor, Editor-in-Chief, President, and Campus Correspondent during my time with Her Campus and I even stayed involved while I did my semester abroad because I loved it so much!

Do you enjoy being the Campus Correspondent (CC) for HC Northeastern?  What is the most rewarding part?

I definitely enjoy being a Campus Correspondent for HC Northeastern, because it makes me feel connected to HC Nationals and the surrounding HC chapters in Boston. The most rewarding part would be being able to represent our school’s chapter and making connections with other CCs in the city and around the country.

Are there any parts that you don’t like about being a CC?

Not really, but there is a lot of responsibility that comes with the position. Making sure that all the forms and requirements are met in a timely manner is a very big commitment, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

What is your favorite memory from your time at Her Campus?

My favorite memory would have to be the Primark shopping events that we have been able to attend. Not only have they served as a nice retail therapy stress reliever, but it has given our team a chance to bond over fun times and cute clothes!

What are your career goals?  Do you think Her Campus has benefited you in moving toward them?  If so, how?

My career goals are to work in the entertainment industry, specifically in the PR/Publicity department. Her Campus has definitely benefited me in working toward that goal, as it has helped me improve my writing and editing skills, as well as finding new story angles and allowing me to write about a variety of topics that interest me.

Are you part of any other co-curriculars other than Her Campus?  If so, which organizations and what do you do for them?

I also am part of the Explore Program, which is the program for undeclared students at Northeastern. I started as an undeclared student, so I feel a special connection toward the program and the people in it. Currently, I am a TA for the freshmen seminar for undeclared students, a Program coordinator, and the social media intern. Overall, we help the students find their passion and the right major that is suited for them based on their interests through different classes and events. As social media intern, I have been able to create and schedule the content for the social media pages in promoting the different events and blog posts written by the student leaders of the program.

What has been your favorite part of college?

My favorite part of college would have to be tied between my co-op in New York and my study abroad semester in Dublin, Ireland. Since co-op is a Northeastern term, I’ll explain. The co-op program allows students to work for six months at almost any company around the world to gain experiential learning. It is why most Northeastern students stay for five years, because they squeeze in 2 or 3 co-ops into their schedules. My co-op in New York was at a fashion start-up called Dia&Co and it was absolutely incredible. Although not in the entertainment industry, it really gave me real-life work experience that I needed and allowed me to make wonderful connections, as well as solidify my love for New York. My study abroad semester in Dublin was also amazing, as I got to experience such a different culture and travel all around Europe.

Are you going to miss college when you graduate?  

Yes and no. I will miss my friends and the city, but I am also ready and excited to start a new chapter in my life. Plus, school work is really not that fun.

Have you made any noteworthy accomplishments during your time in college?

I would say making my way up from a writer to President of HCNU in the span of a year is a pretty big accomplishment for me and I am extremely proud of what I have been able to do within our chapter.

Do you have any future plans (where you want to live, work, etc.) after graduation?

My goal is to work in New York either in-house or at an agency for entertainment PR after I graduate.

If you could be anything in the world, disregarding any particular talents you may or may not have, would you want to pursue a different career path?  Why or why not?

My childhood dream was always to be an actress (I wanted to be Hannah Montana specifically). I think the appeal now of being an actress would be being able to tell all different types of stories and play different roles, as well as creating friendships with casts and crew and traveling around the world to film and promote your work. Since I am not actually going to be an actress, I thought the next best thing would be able to promote what actors and actresses do.

~Bonus questions~

If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be and why?

To read minds because I love people watching, so being able to know what they are thinking would make it even more fun.

What is your spirit animal and why?

Probably the koala because they can sleep for 22 hours and I LOVE sleeping in.

What is your Harry Potter house (the world is clearly dying to know)?

I actually have never read or seen any Harry Potter books or movies (sorry! I know that’s horrible). I became a book nerd after the Harry Potter era.

While I know you are definitely disappointed Laura didn’t have a Harry Potter house for us (I’m making the executive decision that she is a Gryffindor), I hope that you still had just as much fun getting to know Laura as I did! Stay tuned for a few other profiles of members from our Sister Chapter Northeastern, as we celebrate getting the opportunity to work with them!

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.