This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

You wouldn’t know it if you looked at her, but Emma Dunn could beat you up. She wouldn’t, of course, as it’s completely against her genuinely sweet demeanor. The Emerson College senior Writing, Literature and Publishing major has her black belt in Muay Thai. She started her training at six and received her black belt ten years later at sixteen. Martial Arts, however, isn’t her only passion.

Before transferring to Emerson halfway through her junior year, Dunn attended Rhode Island College, where she studied piano. A gifted singer, Dunn fought fiercely to get into her competitive program even though professors said she wasn’t good enough. She refused to believe them and after practicing every day for hours her senior year of high school, she was accepted. A year into her program, she realized that something wasn’t right. She would play music already composed when she wanted to create. She says, “The music industry, particularly the classical music industry, is too cutthroat for me. I want to write my own songs.”

Now, Dunn is a WLP with a concentration in poetry. You can still find her around campus rocking open mic nights, because her love of music and singing will never really go away. A self proclaimed “lover of all things words,” she is a staff writer for multiple online magazines. While she isn’t exactly sure what she want to do in life, she’s not short on ideas. Dunn says, “I have a lot of passions and maybe I want to combine them. One day maybe I’ll open up a gluten free bakery, write children’s books, work for a publishing company, write songs. Maybe all of it.”  She may not be sure, but it’s easy to see that Dunn will let nothing stop her from following her dreams. She hasn’t before and won’t stop now.

Courtney is a junior BFA Writing, Literature, and Publishing student with a minor in Marketing from Emerson College. She is very much a libra. One day she hopes to pursue a career in words, or surronded by words. 
Emerson contributor