This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Malcolm & Marie was released on February 5, 2021. The film was directed by Sam Levinson and it stars Zendaya and John David Washington. With only two cast members and one setting that never changes, the movie was a success. The film showcases a couple, Malcolm (John David Washington) and Marie (Zendaya), their toxic relationship, and the toxicity of the film world. Malcolm is a filmmaker who just had his big break with a film that he made based on Marie’s struggles with drug addiction. However, he does not cast Marie or even thank her at the premier. The movie begins with the couple’s conflict, which evolves throughout the film and reveals issues within their relationship. Malcolm shows how much fame matters to him and how little he cares about Marie’s feelings while Marie is facing his very harsh verbal abuse. However, the abusive relationship that is shown in the movie is not the only theme. Throughout the film, both Malcolm and Marie critique the current world’s film industry as well as film critics. The sexuality of women who are in a bad situation is discussed within the film. White film critics who are performative when it comes to racial issues within films are also critiqued.  

Disney plus on tv on stand showing disney plus
Photo by Marques Kaspbrak from Unsplash
The film was shot in black and white which gave it an older feel. The shots were very unique in the way each shot could show the tone of the scene and what the characters were feeling. The film used many shots where the camera was behind the actor and the viewer could see their image in a mirror; it almost felt like the viewer was there in the house. The ending scene was shot through a window and showed a beautiful yet very complex image of the couple.

The movie may seem simple with only two characters and one setting, but it is very complex. The movie left me speechless. I could not stop watching. The story was rapidly unfolding and caused the viewer to think about a multitude of issues. The script was obviously very well written as it was a very strong asset to make Malcolm & Marie what it is. 

Zendaya and John David Washington were the perfect actors to cast for this film. They are both immensely talented and their talents shine throughout the film. They are very into their characters and show great emotion. Malcolm & Marie is a beautiful film and compelling story, watching the film is not a waste of time. 

Rachel Tarby

Emerson '24

My name is Rachel and I am a freshman at Emerson College. I am a Writing, Literature, & Publishing major. I'm from upstate New York. I have always loved reading and writing. I like music, hiking, exploring abandoned spaces, and kayaking. Instagram: @rachel_tarby
Emerson contributor