This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

My whole life, I was taught that makeup is a bad thing. It could’ve been my mom criticizing my kohl-filled eyes in middle school, or my uncle telling me that using chapstick was bad (I mean, does chapstick even count as makeup?). There’s also all those movies that told me that girls look better without makeup. Or more like, guys are into girls who wear less or no makeup. And then there’s that one meme that I think every girl will collectively groan thinking about. 

Of course, listening to all of them, I too, grew up hating on makeup. Up until this summer, I’d get very defensive when people asked me if I was wearing makeup. “No! It’s just eyeliner. I don’t wear makeup.” I didn’t want guys to look at me without makeup and freak out. But here’s what I didn’t realize, if he thinks I have purple eyelids naturally, he isn’t worth my time. Also, why did I ever think that I had to look good for someone else? I could totally put on makeup for myself and feel good, right? Wrong. 

I prided myself on not knowing what foundation or concealer were. I didn’t want to be one of “those” girls. The ones who wear makeup, walk around confidently, knowing that they look flawless that morning. I started to appreciate and wear makeup (thanks to my lovely roommate) three months ago, so obviously, I now consider myself an expert on the topic. Here are some pros and cons of makeup.

Pros: 

1. It makes you feel über confident in the morning.  

2. You look really good. 

3. You can be anything from girl-next-door to runway show stopper. 

4. It’s actually so much fun putting on makeup. 

5. Learning how to put on eyeliner teaches you some mad skills. Like how to deal with super stressful situations.

P.S.: While we’re at it, can I just say that if you can do perfect wings (I’m talking chicken and eyeliner), you’re my hero?

6. Contouring can make your cheekbones look like they can cut something. (Keeps the creeps at bay!)

7). You can leave lipstick stains on everything you drink out of and feel like a 60s heroine. 

Cons:

1. Good makeup is hella expensive. 

​2. You’ll have to wake up earlier if you want to actually take time out to put on makeup, which I learnt the hard way.

3. We aren’t born knowing how to perfectly contour. Or even put on eyeshadow. 

Emerson contributor