This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

This week, Her Campus Emerson has decided to highlight influential women of the modern era.  These women have all made an impact on our writers in one way or another, and they have all chosen to highlight their work and recognize them for their achievements.  Thank you for taking the time to learn about the women who inspire our writers!

More females are entering the field of politics (round of applause inserted here) and workplace relationships are morphing to become more inclusive as a result. There is already a plethora of political themed TV shows, but one that stands out from the rest is Parks & Recreation. Not only is the lead protagonist a self-proclaimed feminist, Leslie Knope’s character serves as a call to action for equality with empathy. Many episodes touch on the glass ceiling that exists in both local and federal government and enact example scenarios about how to stand up for yourself as a woman in this business. Above all, Leslie Knope achieves success by loyally defending her values. I don’t think I am alone when I say that I wish there were more Knopes in government. Let’s see why below:

1.) She lifts others up. Frequent compliments, personal gifts, and devoted time for friendships are hallmarks of the Knope empowerment train. 

2.) She values her team. A thank you can go a long way, and Knope makes sure to remind her coworkers how much she values their efforts. In response, her team makes sure to come through when it matters. She never forgets where she came from (humble beginnings, a young girl with dreams, or Pawnee itself) and contributes all her successes to the help of her team. 

3.) She gives 100 percent.  Determination and creativity propel Knope past the numerous barriers in government and contribute to her career’s survival. 

4.) She stands up for herself and others. Knope is willing to do anything for her friends, no matter how crazy or loud. Part of how she can stick up to bullies is her self-worth and self-respect. She knows when to put her foot down when a project doesn’t align with her values. 

5.) She treats herself. Waffles, whipped cream, extra whipped cream, and made-up holidays are what we need once in a while…or whenever we feel like it. Treat yourself to that yummy food, buy that gift for your friend, or plan a party just for the sake of having fun. 

6.) She never compromises her goals for a quick fix. Navigating the foggy field of politics can be tiring, and learning how to protect your morals amidst the backdoor deals, bribery, and trickery surrounding s public office is hard. Knope is a rare example of a politician (although fictional) who will find the moral route when there isn’t one given. This tenacity for equal treatment, empowerment, and strength to believe in her goals when no one else will are what distinguish Leslie Knope as a shining role model for the women of 2019 who contemplate running for office. 

Hi there! I'm Maddie, an optimistic Literature student from the Midwest offering her two-cents on dime-worthy topics.
Emerson contributor